Kessil

Where do you guys put your heaters?

dzuckerm

Supporting Member
I know I probably should know the answer to this but I'm just not sure.

I have a standard 180 with two corner overflows and a 60 gallon sump which is in the garage (directly behind the tank).

I run the apex controller (as of last week) and put the temperature probe in the sump right next to the return pump (so it should be giving me the tempterature of the water that is being returned to the main tank. I put the temp probe in the sump for two reasons: 1. the apex unit itself is in my garage where the sump is and 2. I dont like the look of having all these probes coming out of my display.

Right now I have two 200watt heaters, one in each overflow box.

Would it be better to place the heaters in the sump also? or should i put the heaters in the display itself (which would look terrible) or just leave the heaters where they are?

Thanks!

Critical - put the temp sensor in the same body of water as the heaters.
Otherwise if pumps stop - bad things happen.

In the overflows is an issue as well, if they drain when pumps stop.

I put all the heaters/sensors in the sump.

Only reason I would see to put them in the display tank is if you have really low
circulation to sump, or long pipes that lose heat.

A 250 watt in main tank and a 300 watt in sump. Sump set higher setpoint than tank. Guards against certain scenarios.

Two heathers, 150W in the fuge part of the sump, probes on opposite side of heather; second heather beneath the horizontal bubble trap/baffle, right below the skimmer.

Thanks everyone. Moved the two heaters into opposite ends of the sump, but not too close to the temp probe. I have very good flow through my sump (return pump is a mag 24), so I'm not too worried about a temperature differential b/w the tank and sump.

Whatcha mean tank? That's a totally different ballgame! :p

Pretty close, Mike. 3.5 gallons once again and no salt in it.

Back