Neptune Aquatics

where is the SEARCH thing?

Any update on searching? Is there a plan in place, a plan in action, or nothing. I only ask because search as we all know is very important and a very long standing issue. This site is a wealth of knowledge, and the google site search trick is limited (and even that isn't incorporated. There are many times (recent too) when I needed to find an old important post on the member section (un searchable) and have been shut down. When I cant find the post, I simply give up or have to try and find my answers *shudder* on RC.

Thanks for any update info.

vivi said:
Before we figure out plugins etc, why not just add a text-box that links to google-search (with site:bareefers.org)? URL Link :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%textfield%+site:bareefers.org

Yes, this won't give us the member-only forums, nor is it guarantee to give us everything in our site. For latter, we could easily enable Google SiteSearch to make it crawl our site more often etc.

Let me know if there's something i could help. Though, i admit i know nothing about drupal (except hearing horror stories about it).

Hey guys,

Without the search I am really starting to not hang out on the forum. Its too hard to find the discussions I was looking for, or the great information that is in floating around.

Just an FYI. :D

Sorry, I didn't see the August 19th posts until just now. Certainly if anyone has questions/concerns about the website PM is a more reliable way to get my attention since I don't read anywhere near all the posts.

I'm also sorry that I haven't gotten something in place yet. When I last looked at it I was trying to find a better/faster/more stable search solution. I looked at a couple options but nothing worked out. Then I tried to re-enable the built-in search, hoping that the database optimizations would make that feasible now. I ran into trouble even with that and wasn't able to get it working again.

I'll take another shot and re-enabling the basic search, and once that's working I'll look into alternatives that are faster and provide things like links directly to the reply that matches, rather than the the thread.

Okay, it's re-enabled and working.... sort of.

It has to reindex everything and with about 12,000 threads that may take a day or so. In the meantime it's a high load on the server, so it's likely that you will see more frequent errors, timeouts, etc. until it's done.

I'll continue investigating other search options too.

Well, the indexer is crashing on certain threads for some reason. I'm having to manually coax it through and hack it to exclude those specific threads until I can figure out what's causing that. Hopefully it will stay fast, but it might just be fast because it doesn't have much content yet.

It looks like we're a couple drupal versions behind now too, so I'll update the software soon. Maybe that will fix some of these problems.

I thought I was loosing my mind because I couldn't find it. Then I found this thread! I agrea that it is an extremely important feature. The amount of excelent info on this site is a great thing... Unless you can't find it...

We could always use google for public topics:
here's a search for "zepplock": http://www.google.com/search?q=zepplock+site:bareefers.org

Yes, that's why I said: "for public topics".

BTW, why do we hide the "member only" topics again? I understand DBTC and maybe Buy/Sell, but the rest?

zepplock said:
Yes, that's why I said: "for public topics".

BTW, why do we hide the "member only" topics again? I understand DBTC and maybe Buy/Sell, but the rest?

Incentive to join the club for one.

Thanks Erin :-D It's a good start. Hope it is stable enough to stick around. I'll ask around to see if there are any drupal integrations to allow searching by date+name+subject. Searching now is clunky, but way better than nothing :)

I'm looking at a search engine called ApacheSOLR. It seems promising, but the setup is quite involved. I was going to try to update us to the latest drupal version too, but it looks like there's a problem with our backup system now, so I'm fixing that before doing any big upgrades.

Back