Reef nutrition

Where to get a custom sump made

Can someone refer me to a sump builder?

I didn't buy the Elos sump because I intended to get one custom made. Well, two years later and I still never got around to ordering a sump. I've been using a 20gal high for the last 2 yrs and although it's worked fine so far, I think I should get off my lazy arse and order something that better fits my needs and utilizes all the space that I have in the stand.

I've heard of Truvu making custom sumps but is there anyone else locally that can do this that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance

Thanks guys. I forgot about Gen. I've never worked with him, but recall the name. I'll have to swing by Aquatic Central to get a quote.

Just send an email with all the specs to Gen and he'll get back to you. Check out his Contact Us page for all the info needed for a price quote.

I can't believe how long it's been since I last inquired about buying a custom sump. It took a while, but I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a custom sump thru Gen. I picked up the sump last week, so thanks for the recommendation.

The sump turned out nice and I spent a decent chunk of my weekend taking down the old sump and installing the new one. I wish I had more time to spend on the tank, but aside from it being a mess in the cabinet, atleast I can say that I have the sump online. Just need to tidy up the equipment/wires and pick out my next skimmer.

Here's a pic of the sump, It's nothing big or fancy, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Just a rimless tank that's 24" x 18", with a skimmer section that'll flows into a general use area (sand bed, fuge, misc frags), before entering the pump section (returning back to the display tank).

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_5618.JPG

chem-e said:
I can't believe how long it's been since I last inquired about buying a custom sump. It took a while, but I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a custom sump thru Gen. I picked up the sump last week, so thanks for the recommendation.

The sump turned out nice and I spent a decent chunk of my weekend taking down the old sump and installing the new one. I wish I had more time to spend on the tank, but aside from it being a mess in the cabinet, atleast I can say that I have the sump online. Just need to tidy up the equipment/wires and pick out my next skimmer.

Here's a pic of the sump, It's nothing big or fancy, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Just a rimless tank that's 24" x 18", with a skimmer section that'll flows into a general use area (sand bed, fuge, misc frags), before entering the pump section (returning back to the display tank).

Nice sump :)
Mind telling us how much it cost you?
I'm looking to do something similar within budget and also wondering if they/he would build a small shallow sized tank with glass and or acrylic?!

Nice Sump. I had Gen make a custom 'fuge for me a few months ago so it fit perfectly in my stand. i'm real happy w/ it and feel good about it lasting a long time- he knows how to make them well-built, unlike when I tried to make one myself and ended up with numerous leaks that I had to fix by using a bunch of glue & caulking, then it bowed pretty bad.

Oh okay cool.
Which would you guys would be better... getting a quote through Aquatic Central or e-mail Gen directly first?
My primary mission is to see if Gen could build a simple naked shallow tank out of acrylic for me, then on to the sump after.

Does he charge an arm and a leg though? :)

Go directly to Gen. Do you have a design already? Or dimensions?

He will leave you the arm. You can still limp up to the tank! :)

Really I don't think his prices are that bad. He just made a 120 for me. Price was more than, say stock TruVue, but MUCH better made and exactly what I wanted. I'd go back to him in a heartbeat.

jT415Gz - I think his prices are more than reasonable. I did a little research online prior to committing and seeing the prices of Trigger sumps (for example), I think Gen is right in line. Also, with Gen I have someone local that I can have custom build to my design. I would suggest giving him a call to run some ideas through him and get an idea of what your budget will get you.

Alrighty then - I will e-mail Gen once I get the chance to about my tank needs.

Yep, pretty much know what I want which was a glass tank but I can deal with acrylic, since I'm naturally pretty careful about not scratching things here and there.

Looking for a 30"x12"x12" (or 10"high) rimless (or large open top) shallow/peninsula reef display tank and thinking about drilling it out for proper overflow box and plumbing of course. We'll see, all of this is still brainstorming in my head everyday, it's driving me crazy. :)

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread chem-e, but your topic was one of the many questions I had in my head! Thanks for starting this thread.

Well, 'brainstorming in my head everyday, it's driving me crazy'.

I don't think anyone else here can identify with that! :bigsmile:

Back