Cali Kid Corals

Where to get poly or pvc hose insert fittings?

I want to build a simple cleaning wand for the tank.
Thinking 3/4 pvc for the wand and then just a 1/2 or 5/8 Id vinyl hose...

Home Depot by me has a surprisingly poor selection of insert to mpt fittings. Most are either nylon or steel. .

Anyone know a place with more variety for these fittings except in pvc or poly??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got an Orchard Hardware or other similar hardware store that isn't as big as HD/Lowes but isn't close to mom & pop, they usually have a few more fittings and what not.

That said, what's wrong with Nylon? Should be able to find something that can screw into PVC connection.

I think you'll want a clear tube for the wand. If you use PVC, you won't be able to see what's happening inside, the sand will rise to the top, and you won't know to stop or slow the siphon.

Don't know how I missed these updates. I didn't have anything against vinyl except it didn't have the ability to adapt to 5/8 tubing. 3/4 is ridiculously priced in comparison.

Definitely planning on clear tubing for the siphon. Pvc is good enough for the wand. Would like clear but not willing to pay the price.

I'll have to try orchard supply.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ewing irrigation is the bomb. But why not buy a gravel vac? $10...

A gravel vac is good for cleaning sand or gravel for sure, but a smaller diameter PVC pipe introduces other interesting possibilities:
- Cut a slit in the end of the pipe and stick in a razor blade to use as a "suction scythe" for algae on rocks.
- Zip-tie the head of a toothbrush on and make a vacuum scrub brush for cleaning rocks.
- Better access to suck out tight integrated sumps.

:)

You might be over estimating the usefulness of your ideas :D I just came up with a 1/2" PVC, with a tee on the end that I could rubber band a scrubby pad, now I can get the diatom growth of the bottom of the tank so it doesn't just look ugly brown (It seriously was looking kind of ugly). Sure most of it got whisked up into the water column but that's what I have a skimmer and filter socks for.

A gravel vac is good for cleaning sand or gravel for sure, but a smaller diameter PVC pipe introduces other interesting possibilities:
- Cut a slit in the end of the pipe and stick in a razor blade to use as a "suction scythe" for algae on rocks.
- Zip-tie the head of a toothbrush on and make a vacuum scrub brush for cleaning rocks.
- Better access to suck out tight integrated sumps.

:)
They do sell different diameter gravel vac tubes, and you can buy whatever size cylinder you want from tap plastic...
Not sure how a rigid tube will help clean a sump, I just use a siphon hose.

Back