Jestersix

Which corals would you recommend to add movement to a nano reef?

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some coral recommendations to add to my nano reef that would provide nice movement to my tank.

I currently have various mushrooms, green star polyps, a small frogspawn, a palythoa, a eagle eye zoanthids.

I would like something that is, good for a beginner, not real aggressive towards other corals, is not invasive.

Below is my 10g nano tank as it currently looks as of today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Sam

Image00037.jpg

Well hate to break it to you, but that green star polyp you have, as well as those mushrooms can get to be quite invasive just like any other coral that grows relatively fast.

Two things come to mind for "movement" in corals, that's soft corals that very often are "invasive", Kenya tree, pulsing or pom pom xenia, a colt coral could give you movement, however if you have a static water flow that movement more likely than not will just be to one side. Also any sort of "long tentacle" LPS corals, frog spawn, hammer, torch coral, would give you similar effects, although they can sting things that are near by.

However looking at your tank as it is, I wouldn't worry about anything being aggressive, as it looks like you have some nice corals that will just grow really fast, and since they're all growing fast the act of competing will be fairly even out. Although I will say those mushrooms will cover that entire rock structure faster than any of the zoanthids you have on there.

Two open brain corals on the sand would add a lot of color. A torch coral would be very nice for movement. As mentioned earlier those mushrooms will probably cause you some problems. I would isolate them on their own rock at the very least. Another nice coral is a Duncan coral. It has movement and mine grow fairly quickly.

Back