Kessil

Which fish where?

I'm going to set up some "temp" tanks (long term temp) to house my fish while I move my other tanks around and potentially plan for really stupid things :D I'm curious as to peoples opinions on compatability and "waste". The reason I say waste is because one of the tanks will be a low nutrient (hopefully) tank that I'll keep my acan lords, blastos & sps in so I want a low fish load.

So here are the fish I'm debating on which tanks to go into I'd like to hear some opinions
Flame Angel
Bicolor Angel
Percula Clown
Tomato Clown
blue damsel
6-line wrasse
4 chromis.

The two tanks in question are a 6 foot long 100g tank, and a 3ft long 38g tank (with 50g sump).

Now I'm thinking 3 fish for the smaller tank, maybe 4 if they're really small. Obvious the clowns will be separated I'm unsure which one should go in the smaller tank since both don't tend to move much. Also unsure if introducing two dwarf angels is a foolish thing (i've been told yes if one is established but might be doable if both are introduced at the same time), the flame is the smaller of the two so if I separate them I'm leaning towards putting it in the smaller tank but if possible I'd like to avoid that since I'm unsure about the SPS aspect which can't be accounted for although both dwarfs don't pick at any corals, but then again I dont have any sps in my current tanks. Finally the 6-line I think might do better with the larger tank even though its a small fish because it tends to pick at bugs and such.

Fwiw - cyclgrl aka Cindy has two pygmy angels in her tank and they seem okay in the 90g. Granted, there are lots of hiding place caves, arches, and stuff for the fish to hide in.

6-line wrasses are pretty active fish and is a fish I could see going into the larger of the two tanks. After everything is said and done what else in terms of fish would you like to add down the road. Yanking out a 6-line wrasse would be a hassle if you have to practically tear everything down and out to get to it. If your goal is to have the 100g tank as a sps tank you are bound to make automatic frags trying to get a smaller fish out of a tank.

Thanks for the reply Eileen. Hmmm its nice to know two pygmies can coexist, but they are the same fish, they are small too. Might think in that direction.

Yeah I thought the 6-line in the larger tank, although more for foraging reasons than activity so good on two points. In the future I honest don't plan on adding any more fish to either tanks since they'll be slightly overstocked. So yanking him out won't be an issue, remembering these are "temp" tanks... until my 11foot long tank gets into motion (or whatever frankenstein creation I come up with next).

So perhaps in the smaller of the two tanks I can put the tomato clown (although I'm leary of putting my RBTA in there.. especially if I'm going to have more sensitive, aka more expensive, corals), the other side of the coin though is that the tomato can hold its own against the damsel & chromis if i put those in there where as I'm not so sure about the percula...

I really dont want to overcrowd the 100g tank.. being as my 135g is slightly there as it is, the only difference in the two tanks is the height (24" vs 18"), note that the fish I listed aren't my only fish, I also have a good sized Foxface that'll be in the large tank, a scooter blenny which I think needs the foraging room, and a watchman goby which I think would prefer a sandy bottom to make a cave from.

Basically I want to know what would be more feasible to put in the 38, because everything else is going into the 100 :D

I've heard that six-line wrasses are pretty active, and when they get freaked out they'll wind up carpet surfing more often then not so my vote would be to keep it in the larger of the two tanks.

The damsel and the percula could exist in the 38 without a hitch as well as the scooter blenny and possibly the watchman albeit it would be a stretch with that much fish in that size tank.

Hmmm.. the smaller one will be... *ahem*... sans sand though... so that's why I'm leaning against the fish in that. Although I guess a scooter could.. assuming there was a large enough pod supply, which I'm not sure will be the case.

I'm curious, why do you want your acans and blastos to be in a low nutrient environment? Just because you want to keep them with sps for aesthetic reasons?

I wouldn't attempt to mix the angels. If they don't get along, it really sucks trying to get one out and they can kill each other in a matter of hours.

Well the reason I wanted acans & blastos in a low nutrient environment just because I don't want my shrimp preying off them... ie I want to feed the suckers. Another option is to keep cleaner shrimp in the smaller tank (which at this point I'm leaning between a 50 & 38... one will be tank one will be the sump... but I have a stand for the 50 so... depends how scratched up the 38 is, either way I need to drill one of them because I do NOT want HOB overflows), my coral banded shrimp doesn't seem to be as bold in going after food inside of the acans so that's another option is putting the acans & blastos in the fish tank, then have cleaner shrimp in the SPS tank, which in forethought could be useful to cleaning up any leftover mysis that the fish don't eat.

Yeah, I'm torn on the angels, I dont want to get rid of either since their both healthy and from what I've heard are notorous for dying shortly after purchase (meaning I have good fish!). Guess it's just going to be a matter of which dwarf is more SPS friendly if I have them separated. I could always use my 10g with some eggcrate to separate while I acclimate them to the water to see if they show any sign of aggression.

I'm looking to have the 100g filled by the end of today so hopefully should have rock in their by this weekend!

I have a Flame Angel and Imperator Angel in a 100G and they get along fine. I just have to sell my scoly because the Imperator is nipping on it.

I think both angels are sps "friendly" if that is a word. Pygmies tend to nip at softies and especially clams. I had to get rid of one before it killed my clam. However, because angels like to graze algae all day, a low nutrient sps tank might not provide good food for them, and then if you're feeding the tank all the time, it's not low nutrient anymore is it! I'd still like to adopt one of your cleaner shrimp when you catch him...

Don't worry, I'll give you a cleaner shrimp, I've concluded that waiting for me to empty the tank is probably the easiest (and most sane for me) way of doing it.

Back