Reef nutrition

Which of these fish/livestock do YOU want to WIN at the next frag swap?

Which of these fish/livestock do you want to see the MOST in the Raffle/Silent Auction

• Total voters
Hello Reefers!

One of our event sponsor for the upcoming BAR Members Frag Swap on March 14th is interested in seeing what you, the BAR community wants to see as Raffle prizes at the frag swap. We want to see what you folks are interested in.

This is your opportunity to see some of the prizes for the upcoming swap and also choose what you want to see in the raffle and silent auction. There will also be some primo coral in the raffle donated by our local fish store sponsors at this upcoming frag swap for all you coral lovers out there.

The raffle is FREE. Yes you heard it folks, free. Each attending member gets 1 Raffle Ticket for free. No raffle tickets will be sold. You all have equal chances of winning the livestock posted in the poll and the other corals and drygoods donated by the sponsors. :) and since there will be less people at the event than our Regional Swap, y'all have a pretty good chance of winning.

Less People + Raffles = Higher Chance of You Winning. I think I did my math right.

Raffle-Ticket.jpg

Yeah I did mention a silent auction as well. The single most expensive fish in this poll will be put in the silent auction, the rest will be raffle prizes. This generates funds for BAR to hold these types of events and keep this website running. Don't lose faith. You're bidding against only a handful of people. At the regional event, I went home with Neptune Aquatics Rainbow Micromussa for 15$, a piece which I saw selling for 150$ at the Neptune Aquatics Store.

Court-Gavel.jpg

Check out the Poll and Vote for what fish you want to see there. The top 3 fishes will be available as raffle prizes / silent auction. Pretty sure I can make the clean-up crew package/macroalgae package happen regardless of poll votes. We will see.

Also I have to include this disclaimer, this is pending fish availability and your votes. The sponsor is confident they can donate these fish but again it is dependent on BAR's interest and whether or not the fish are available. Obviously the common fish will be usually be available.

Keep coming here for updates. I will keep you updated with as much information as I can regarding fish availability. No biting my head off.

Vote.
Go to Frag Swap.
Win.
Be Happy :)
Repeat.

Fish Tank Size Requirements and Species Care Page (Don't put these in a nano tank!)
Red Sea 8 Line Flasher Wrasse
-Minimum Tank Size: 50 Gallons
Ruby Red Dragonet (Not Same Species but Similar Care)
-Minimum Tank Size: 30 Gallons
Black Fin Fairy Margin Wrasse
-Minimum Tank Size: 125 Gallons
McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
-Minimum Tank Size: 55 Gallons
Blue Tang
-Minimum Tank Size: 180 Gallons
Dispar Anthias
-Minimum Tank Size: 70 Gallons
Springeri Damsel
-Minimum Tank Size: 30 Gallons

Also based on peoples votes, I will be donating some of my blue-legged hermit crabs to the swap. I simply have too many and they keep crawling around my zoas!

fishpoll.jpg

Last edited:
Might I suggest a liveaquaria or personally made print out on each fish available for the raffle/auction, so that people can know suitable tank sizes, tankmates, etc before bidding or accepting their winning prize.

I just know that if someone with a 10g tank wins something like the blue tang, even if it's the size of a quarter, I'm going to lose all respect for the club. (most of the other fish are not really suitable as nanofish either)

Hi Mike,

Good idea but I do not have the time to post each fish's picture and care information. Whoever wants to help with that, can. Anyone interested in these fish should do research (liveaquaria is a great website) or ask about the fish before winning them.

I should mention this is how the raffle will work. The raffle system will be on a winner-chooses basis.

What I mean is, the first person whose number is called, gets to choose 1 prize he or she wants to take home. The benefit to this is we go home with what we want. Obviously the last person to win the raffle has last pick (the prizes are going to be awesome even if you're last) and well they will have to decide. You do not have to take the blue tang home if you don't want to, another number will be called until all the prizes have a home.

And although we physically have no control over who puts a blue tang in a 10 gallon tank, we will try to our best to inform people of minimum tank size requirements and the health problems with fish being in a tank too small. The tang police are here! :p

I use tang because it was the most obvious, but looking at those fish none of them really belong in nano tanks. Fish are different than corals in that regards where you need to have proper conditions for corals, but you can put any coral in the most pico of pico tanks as long as you you keep the water parameters in check. Fish are more tolerant of water conditions, but the other side is they need room to swim.

And I'm not trying to be all tang police like here, but I've seen enough raffles to know that someone wins something more likely than not they're going to keep it regardless if they can do so properly or not. I'm not going to blame the winners at all, I'm just asking that the club lets people know of proper conditions, it's very easy to see a fish when it's tiny and the idea is that "oh that will totally do fine in my tank" when the reality is that even tiny fish need swimming space.

:) sorry dswong, these are the fish our sponsor is generously willing to donate. We can't demand we want A, B , C fish.

Let me know if you all have any other questions. I'm liking the feedback!

Last edited:
In the end, I dont know what BAR will choose but Im guessing the 3 wrasses will be the top three fish. In that case, the most expensive one will be silent auction.

The other 2 fish would be free as raffle prizes.

In my opinion, the McCoskers Wrasse is just beautiful. But the 8 line and blackfin are so unique! I like them too.

Flasher wrasses in general are such fun looking fish.

Although I will say only pictures usually are the super nice looking super males that are out in all the mating glory colors, so they might look quite as nice in person ;)

I'd echo the sentiments above. None of the fish are really suitable for raffle prizes as they all need significant sized tanks. Chances are that the winner won't have a large enough tank or know enough about the care of the fish.

I understand everyones concern about the potential for these fish wounding up in an inappropriately sized tank. I'll modify the thread to add minimum tank size requirement.

However, we have a good amount of members who have decent size tanks 75 gallons+ and i'm sure gimmito could use some more fish in his tank :p.

Jokes aside we also have some knowledgeable members who know how to take care of fish or at least possess the ability to research their care requirements. I don't think its right to assume that the winner will have a nano tank and not know enough to take care of them.

Also, the raffle will be a winner chooses set up. If you win the raffle drawing you choose what you want to take home. This way someone with a 10 gallon tank doesn't end up taking home a wrasse because of the luck of the draw.

Whatever fish ends up winning the poll will be the result of members choosing them.
The most expensive fish will go into the silent auction, the other two will be raffle prizes. You'll have to pay if you want the most expensive fish, in this case the fish will probably be the fish with the biggest tank size requirement.

This thread is simply to gauge interest in these fish for the prizes, spark interest in our members, and hopefully get them going.

I'm very interested in trying to breed the springeri damsels.
These fish are useful for flatworm removal
I've heard of that too, I'm tempted come next frag swap to see if any of the local shops have them and maybe get one to toss in my sumpfugium ... just hopefully he doesn't swim right into one of the many anemones!

I've heard of that too, I'm tempted come next frag swap to see if any of the local shops have them and maybe get one to toss in my sumpfugium ... just hopefully he doesn't swim right into one of the many anemones!

They are like most damsels unfortunately... pissed off as adults. I'd go for a single. For pairing, I'd grab a male, and the smallest in the group where you are getting them.

Not all fish are created equal :) but I am keeping Springeri and they do school. Besides whipping them into shape, I do find most Chrysiptera are pretty docile as John Coppolino and Kevin Kohen have suggested:)

Springeri are awesome but I do keep talbot, Rolandi, and alleni all in the same tank.

Back