White egg crate

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by MontanaBay, Aug 9, 2008.

1. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

Howdy All,

I just need a 10" by 10" section of egg create if anyone has some in the Berkeley, North Oakland, Albany, El Cerrito area.

Thanks,

Josh

2. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Wish I would have known. I had some at my house I probably could have brought to the swap. If you get no bites, you can get a whole sheet at home depot or TAP

3. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I've got way more than I can use. I'm in Point Richmond. LMK if you want a piece.

4. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

yeah, I realized after I got home from the swap that I'd need more shelf space in the tank. I had to hit HD yesterday anyways, so I picked up a full panel of egg crate and some magnets, put together a nice little frag rack.

Thanks for the offers tho!

Cheers,

Josh

5. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

no problem. glad you found some.

6. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Which magnets did you get for the frag rack from HD? Just wondering what's safe to put in the tank. I'm currently hanging my frag racks from the side of my tank using eggcrate but I'd like to clean it up and mount them onto magnets.

7. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=DurTBear link=topic=4276.msg52223#msg52223 date=1218664090]
    Which magnets did you get for the frag rack from HD? Just wondering what's safe to put in the tank. I'm currently hanging my frag racks from the side of my tank using eggcrate but I'd like to clean it up and mount them onto magnets.
    [/quote]

when I get home I'll let you know the brand name, but they were ~1.5"x0.34"x0.25". They should be all iron, so there should be no issue with them in the tank.

To protect the glass from the magnet I super glued felt to the polar ends. I then epoxy the egg crate to the inside magnets and thats it.

Two sets of magnets are supporting 6"x8" shelf with 8 frags no problems.

8. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Cool...thanks for the info. Do you think supergluing the eggcrate to the magnets would provide enough support?

9. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=DurTBear link=topic=4276.msg52226#msg52226 date=1218664941]
    Cool...thanks for the info. Do you think supergluing the eggcrate to the magnets would provide enough support?
    [/quote]

yeah, for sure. Use a thin piece of cardboard to spread a light layer of superglue on the magnet and also on the egg crate, let it sit for minute before pressing them together, the superclue will melt the plastic a little and you will get a really solid bond, after let set good for 10mins.

10. Roc

Roc Guest

I would be very wery of putting the magnets in the tank.

the mag racks for sale have done a great thing by incaseing the inter magnet in plastic.

11. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Here is a whole thread I started a while back. The epoxy mentioned can be used to coat magnets. I set them in water bottle lids :)
    http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2854.0

12. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4276.msg52231#msg52231 date=1218666756]

the mag racks for sale have done a great thing by incaseing the inter magnet in plastic.
    [/quote]

why be worried? Anything that might dissolve into the tank if it rusts are necessary trace elements (iron, strontium, barium), but many magnet composites are extremely resistant to rusting anyways.

I am curious to see if my macro algae reacts, as iron is a limiting factor in ocean systems.

Cheers,

Josh

13. Roc

Roc Guest

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4276.msg52260#msg52260 date=1218683616]
    [quote author=Roc link=topic=4276.msg52231#msg52231 date=1218666756]

[/quote]

why be worried? Anything that might dissolve into the tank if it rusts are necessary trace elements (iron, strontium, barium), but many magnet composites are extremely resistant to rusting anyways.

I am curious to see if my macro algae reacts, as iron is a limiting factor in ocean systems.

Cheers,

Josh
    [/quote]

Trace elements are added to the tank using control, if you just throw a ton of iron into your tank it could kill everything, if a mag rusts, you lose control.

14. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4276.msg52331#msg52331 date=1218730657]
    Trace elements are added to the tank using control, if you just throw a ton of iron into your tank it could kill everything, if a mag rusts, you lose control.
    [/quote]

this is true, but the ceramic magnets (common refrigerator style) are very resistant to rusting, and even if it rusts much of it will be unabsorbable precipitate.

I'll do a quick google search to double check, but it should be okay.

15. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

follow up, looks like most ceramic magnets are made of ferrite oxide or "black rust", this means that Fe has already been oxidize, therefore it can no longer rust.

I've had mine in my tank for four days with no sign of rust, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers,

Josh

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Having had years of personal experience with this I am here to say I beg to differ. Just search Reef Central for magnet problems and you will see rusting is an issue and does create major havoc in a tank. I've had three friends loose EVERYTHING due to magnets rusting. EcoTech had/has issues with their magnets rusting as well in case you want to broaden your search on Reef Central :)

Every magnet I use I coat in Expoxy!

17. Roc

Roc Guest

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4276.msg52355#msg52355 date=1218734565]
    Having had years of personal experience with this I am here to say I beg to differ. Just search Reef Central for magnet problems and you will see rusting is an issue and does create major havoc in a tank. I've had three friends loose EVERYTHING due to magnets rusting. EcoTech had/has issues with their magnets rusting as well in case you want to broaden your search on Reef Central :)

[/quote]

I guess this really is what I am saying, if coating in epoxy prevents any bad issue from occuring, and really isn't hard to do, then why not just do it and buy yourself a piece of mind.

18. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[/quote]

epoxy is easy enough and you guys got me second guessing now ;)

I did a search on RC, found some reports of rusting magnets, but I haven't seen anyone claim it crashed their tanks. In most threads people say don't worry about it. There was mention that some magnets have a high phosphate composition (zinc or boron) that protect them from corrosion, ironically these are marine use (non aquarium application) magnets. If these were to get scratched of fail over time the phosphate could crash the tank.

I would guess Vortec was using high end magnets, probably not ceramic, since they are used to drive the propeller through glass, so they were probably using a higher Fe content and less Fe oxide.

I posted this question on RC chemistry, it will be interesting to see if it is specific types of magnets and what types of problems they might cause.

Cheers and coat with epoxy!

Josh

19. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I've had three friends loose EVERYTHING due to magnets rusting.
    [/quote]

How do they know it was the magnets that caused the problem? It seems like that would be really hard to sort out from the hundreds of other potential causes without a controlled experiment.

20. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

haha, the magnets I used have been in there for over 2 months and not spec of rust and about 25% covered in coralline.

A piece of zenia actually attached to it and grew out. No, epoxy, no nothing, just make sure you use ceramic magnets, pre-oxidized!

Cheers,

Josh