White Lightning Sponge

Discussion in 'DBTC - Other' started by pixelpixi, Feb 4, 2010.

statistics
No Transactions
None
Please email your web administrator with a link to this thread if you want to add this thread to the DBTC database!!
  1. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I've had this white Lightning Sponge for a couple months now. It's a great looking and very interesting animal!

[​IMG]

I can make two frags for delivery at the swap. They'll be the tips pieces from the right branch and I'll deliver them unmounted in an air-free deli container. (Though there's debate about it, many say that exposing a sponge to air will kill it. I'd err (air?) on the safe side and not risk it.)

2. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Interested in it if you're fragging. Want to see how it does in a tank that gets fed a lot. :D

3. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Very cool, I"m interested as well. Looks like you provide the rock and it crawls up it.

4. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Is that the same as what has been called spider sponge? The sponge is actually the core and the white is an non-photosynthetic polp?
    Way cool looking :-D

5. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Is it filter feeder?
    What kind of care does it require?
    Does it grow fast or slow?
    Would a noob be able to keep it alive? :) If so, I'd like to try

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Tony, yes.

Roberto, yes, highly much so. It needs phytoplankton and small zooplankton. Jen Dub had great success using Phyto-Feast and Roti-feast on theirs.

7. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Thanks, Erin!

8. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

Looks very healthy in your system. Nice .

9. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Thanks for the piece Erin!

10. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Mostly polyps. :p

[​IMG]

11. melly mel

melly mel Guest

Wow, thats a really nice sponge!

12. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

mine didn't make it. :(

13. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

Can I get on the waiting list for the next frag?
    Also here is a link for its preferred conditions.....
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+10&ddid=115072

14. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I lost mine too, so unless Eric's made it I think this chain is dead. :-(

15. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Unfortunately they appear to be very difficult.

From Divers Den
    They're beautiful animals. I'd love to hear a success story on this one......

-Gregory

16. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Is this in the wild as well or is there something in our tanks lacking for the sponge to thrive?

-Gregory

17. Joost_

Joost_ Guest

Definitely something missing in our tanks, otherwise this species would've been extinct by now. Could be either lack of DOC, Phyto, trace elements, or flow, my guess is mixture of all of the above but who knows? I could also be that the sponge grows slow anyways and that we are just feeding the zoas too much, I'm just guessing here since I'm not sure of grow rates in nature or with success stories.

18. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Mebbie not...it might depend on the rate of colonization of the zoas in the wild of "virgin" sponges. Does the sponge exist without the zoas in nature or are they always linked? Perhaps all colonized sponges eventually die in the wild from the zoas growth rate and uncolonized sponges live to reporduce. Interesting to know.

-Gregory

19. GDawson

GDawson Guest

As we have seen from pixelpixi the animal can be successfully fragged....it might be interesting to frag one and remove the zoas and try to grow just the sponge in a stable azoox tank.

-Gregory

20. Joost_

Joost_ Guest

The sponges do live without the parazoanthus. There has been a study done about the symbiotic relationship. However you'll won't be able to access it :(. The abstract does give some insight though:
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=1407334929947852943&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5
    I'll try getting my hands on the full article via Steinhart, and hopefully report more on it later.