Kessil

White Lightning Sponge

I've had this white Lightning Sponge for a couple months now. It's a great looking and very interesting animal!

4331369715_9fd16065b7.jpg

I can make two frags for delivery at the swap. They'll be the tips pieces from the right branch and I'll deliver them unmounted in an air-free deli container. (Though there's debate about it, many say that exposing a sponge to air will kill it. I'd err (air?) on the safe side and not risk it.)

Is that the same as what has been called spider sponge? The sponge is actually the core and the white is an non-photosynthetic polp?
Way cool looking :-D

Is it filter feeder?
What kind of care does it require?
Does it grow fast or slow?
Would a noob be able to keep it alive? :) If so, I'd like to try

Tony, yes.

Roberto, yes, highly much so. It needs phytoplankton and small zooplankton. Jen Dub had great success using Phyto-Feast and Roti-feast on theirs.

Can I get on the waiting list for the next frag?
Also here is a link for its preferred conditions.....
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+10&ddid=115072

pixelpixi said:
I lost mine too, so unless Eric's made it I think this chain is dead. :-(

Unfortunately they appear to be very difficult.

From Divers Den
Australian red spider sponge. This animal is very challenging to maintain, and should only be purchased by the expert marine reef aquarist who can house the animal in a display with other NPS (Non-Photosynthetic) animals. For optimum health this NPS (Non-Photosynthetic) sponge and polyps should be target fed several times per day a diet of Zooplankton and Phytoplankton. This animal requires perfect water chemistry with moderate to strong water flow, and is very sensitive to even small traces of Nitrate and Phosphate in the water, as well as is sensitive to rapid fluctuations in Alkalinity.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+10&ddid=113012

They're beautiful animals. I'd love to hear a success story on this one......

-Gregory

Joost_ said:
The main problem with these corals are that the zoanthids usually grow faster than the sponge.

Is this in the wild as well or is there something in our tanks lacking for the sponge to thrive?

-Gregory

Definitely something missing in our tanks, otherwise this species would've been extinct by now. Could be either lack of DOC, Phyto, trace elements, or flow, my guess is mixture of all of the above but who knows? I could also be that the sponge grows slow anyways and that we are just feeding the zoas too much, I'm just guessing here since I'm not sure of grow rates in nature or with success stories.

otherwise this species would've been extinct by now

Mebbie not...it might depend on the rate of colonization of the zoas in the wild of "virgin" sponges. Does the sponge exist without the zoas in nature or are they always linked? Perhaps all colonized sponges eventually die in the wild from the zoas growth rate and uncolonized sponges live to reporduce. Interesting to know.

-Gregory

As we have seen from pixelpixi the animal can be successfully fragged....it might be interesting to frag one and remove the zoas and try to grow just the sponge in a stable azoox tank.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
otherwise this species would've been extinct by now

Mebbie not...it might depend on the rate of colonization of the zoas in the wild of "virgin" sponges. Does the sponge exist without the zoas in nature or are they always linked? Perhaps all colonized sponges eventually die in the wild from the zoas growth rate and uncolonized sponges live to reporduce. Interesting to know.

-Gregory
The sponges do live without the parazoanthus. There has been a study done about the symbiotic relationship. However you'll won't be able to access it :(. The abstract does give some insight though:
The diversity and specificity of symbiotic associations may be useful in revealing the underlying ecology of symbioses and evolutionary relationships of symbiotic species. Symbioses between coral reef sponges and zoanthids are widespread and common in the greater Caribbean region, although the diversity and specificity of the species involved have only been explored at a few sites and the adaptive significance has only been examined for three combinations. We identified extensive diversity among sponges that associate with zoanthids by compiling sponge–zoanthid species associations from field surveys, the literature, and museum collections, and examined the patterns of specificity at multiple levels of sponge and zoanthid taxonomy. The results obtained indicate that facultative sponges are highly specific to the species of their partners whereas obligate zoanthids are not. The patterns of specificity among sponges and zoanthids suggest that many of these associations are not likely to be parasitic. Sponges harbouring photosynthetic endosymbionts associate at a disproportionately high frequency with zoanthids that harbour photosynthetic endosymbionts. Zoanthids embed in the surfaces of sponges to various degrees, resulting in a range of intimacy that negatively correlates with the number of hosts and polyp volume of zoanthids. Dendrograms based on the similarity among associations are largely consistent with current hypotheses of sponge higher-order systematics, but inconsistent with the current hypotheses of zoanthid systematics, and they highlight the potential utility of ecological characters in systematic analyses. © 2007 The Linnean Society of London, Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2007, 92, 695–711.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=1407334929947852943&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5
I'll try getting my hands on the full article via Steinhart, and hopefully report more on it later.

Back