Our mission

Who actually runs a QT/Hospital tank?

I'm thinking that for the upcoming frag swap, I will actually set up (or re-set up) a quarantine tank. My wife will go nuts, but whatever. I'll set it up in the "basement" where only my kids and I will notice! :)

The reason is that I'm still working on Nitrate issues in my big tank, but don't want to miss out on the swap either. Luckily, I have so much equipment I could even run a sump under it if I wanted to, and put LED lights or halides over it.

I'm wondering if anyone runs a qt tank 24/7 or if you just set it up for swaps OR don't even bother?

If not, I would highly recommend it for this swap.

In fact I'm going to set it up as soon as I can so that I can grow-out what fraggable corals I still have, including some BTAs.

V

In the past what I have done is have a frag tank, where I would put frags to grow out that I no longer wanted and were for grow out for trading/swaps/DBTC/etc, and of course the water volume is separate from the main tank. Then when you get new corals, after appropriate inspection/dipping, put them in that frag tank, that way the worst case scenario is you lose a bunch of frags that you put in there if there's something particularly nasty that outlives all dips, inspections, etc.

I've also had a fish QT that was plumbed into my main tank with a valve to isolate it when I was "in use as a QT"... well then BAR has a frag workshop/sale, and I brought home a lovely little Onyx clownfish from Quality Marine and a handful of others... well as I found out Quality Marine is about as honest a name as Best Buy is the absolute best price in town but I forgot to turn the knob to isolate it, and well needless to say brookynella (or whatever) did a lot of damage to my fish in the display tank. Never going to combine tanks like that again.

I use the bucket-transfer method for both fish and coral. Mini-QT.
I always remove the frag plug.
But I only use a real QT tank for fish.

I only start it up for TTMing fish. For coral: dip, examine, remount plug, rinse and go.
I do the same. Ttm all fish, change frag plugs and dip the corals. If I needed a hospital tank I got one. Only illness so far is one of my lyretail has popeye. Crazy! Been three days so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the same. Ttm all fish, change frag plugs and dip the corals. If I needed a hospital tank I got one. Only illness so far is one of my lyretail has popeye. Crazy! Been three days so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least I dip corals in Bayer. Foreign frag plugs are a no-no in my tank too.

I actually do a FW dip of fish to see if they have any flukes, but other than that nada. I have been lucky and the only deaths of fish are those that can't stand the look of my face and jump out of the tank first chance they get - a six-line wrasse and yellow watchman goby. Oh and another six-line that thought he could take on an MP40. I do have all the equipment for QT and TTM though.

We should have designated hospital tanks in each section of the bay that we all support.
clip_image001.png
Primarily so I don't have to have one of my own.

I support this idea! ;P.

I don't have QT tank setup but I only buy fish from someone down in san jose who claimed that he TTM every fish. I have no issue with him fish so far. For coral, I only dip in Bayer and put them into the tank ;(.

I now quarantine anything that is wet. I have 20g QT for fish and will occasionally do TTM, praziquantel. I usually observe them for 4-6 weeks before they go into one of my DT. I also have a 70g (2x35g) coral frag/grow out system that is fishless. Most corals spend 2-3 months there. Corals get dipped in Bayer.

I have a 30g tank+20g sump that I use as observation tank for all new livestock. Everything goes in there for at least 1 month before being placed in the main tank. I even qt-ed the chaeto :). Then I have a 10g tank that sits dry in the box until I need it to treat the fish. I also dip the corals before placing them into the observation tank.

One of my current pico (fluval spec3) used to be qt for my biocube 29. 24/7. I used it only for fish. Corals go through normal drip acclamation, followed by dip. I remove the frag play before gluing it on the rockscape, which may be at the same day, or couple of weeks after its introduced to DT.

I have a QT that I use for fish, corals get dipped. Even still though, A year ago red bugs got into the tank, but intercepter fixed that pretty quick

I bought a white tail bristletooth and Achilles Tang from Live Aquaria last week and they have been the first fish I've ever done anything other than acclimate. For them I did a formalin dip then into a bucket with prazipro to start the ttm. That will be it though. No quarantine period.

Back