Who wants to play a [educational?] game!?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by kinetic, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I was looking at RC and there's a 1" frag contest. It sort of lit up a bulb in my head.

Let's all invest in one big colony, and frag a few pieces of it out. Each piece will be the same size, in the same condition as all the others. We'll distribute them to different people, who hopefully can place them in different conditions.

We'll basically keep a log, where people update the thread once every two weeks with water parameter updates, and a picture of the frag.

This is how it should go:

1. Acquire a colony (maybe donated?) or find a colony that can sustain multiple frags. It would be very interesting if this was a very cool looking coral that nobody has yet.

2. Everyone signs up and introduces their tank specifications. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
    - Lighting System (including timing)
    - Temperature System (heater, chiller, fans, controllers, etc)
    - Flow (powerheads, closed loops, etc)
    - Salt Mix used and RO used (include salinity, topoff procedures, salt brand)
    - Supplement Control (Ca reactors, kalk reactors, zeovit, etc)
    - Maintenance Schedules (water change schedules, cleaning schedules, feeding, etc)
    - Livestock
    - More stuff that I haven't thought of...

3. We all start at the same time with the frag, and take two pictures, one full tank shot to show it's position in the tank, the second a closeup. The goal here is to take two pictures of the coral, one showing it's placement in the tank and how it looks amongst others, and the second just to monitor it's growth. No SUPER macro shots needed =) Just so we can see it.

4. Every two weeks you must reply back with some data, including but not limited to:
    - Maintenance done so far
    - Temperature ranges
    - Water Parameter readings
    - Two pictures

We'll go from month to month, and we'll see who gets the best growth / color / health on these guys in increments of 3 months at a time. Then in 1 year we'll see what happened to it.

Of course when they get big enough, we'll pass the frags on in the DBTC.

What do you guys think? Sounds fun?

BBQ Yellow Millipora (Updated 12/01/2007)
    Official Thread for this coral piece: http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2650.0

We will be distributing frags at the BBQ December 1st in Alameda. If you cant pickup then, please make an arrangement with someone who will be there. Please bring $8 to cover the cost.

People who are in this round's contest:
    Art
    Eric
    Levi
    Mike
    Rich
    Norm
    Eileen
    nash
    Thales
    seminolecpa
    Paradox
    Johara

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Funny how this idea has made the rounds over the last 5 years :)

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Sounds fun. I could chip in on that. Preference would be for something captive propagated over wild collected.

How about doing it at your flea market get together?

Maybe people could bring colonies they've grown out and we could frag several to pass around? I probably can find something of mine to contribute :D

4. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2524.msg26014#msg26014 date=1193299946]
    Sounds fun. I could chip in on that. Preference would be for something captive propagated over wild collected.

How about doing it at your flea market get together?

Maybe people could bring colonies they've grown out and we could frag several to pass around? I probably can find something of mine to contribute :D
    [/quote]

Yeah, I'll incorporated it into the flea market get together =)

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I'm in! Maybe the the winner get's a digital blue ribbon to use as a signature :) We need a good way to track all this though, it's going to be a lot of information. Maybe a new forum and each person can start their own thread? One thread can get ugly fast. If we make it a contest then everyone needs to have a frag from the same colony but it's just for our own benifit then I guess it really doesn't matter.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Interesting idea, and I'll be the negative nancy on this thread and just say "So this is the line for the free coral!?" But then again if every member who was getting in on it was chipping in probably not a problem. But as Norman suggested captive propagated would be best, however getting a "very cool looking coral nobody has" pretty much ruled out getting a colony from someone's tank or something, last I checked mariculture pieces don't come in that large.

Also seems that some pieces will have a leg up on others simply by where they're cut from, if they're tips or not, etc.

7. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Could incorporate that information into the data collected (i.e. where they're cut from). That way we can actually see if it makes a difference or not and how different environments affect growth rates and shapes.

If we do go with it, I'm in. :)

8. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2524.msg26018#msg26018 date=1193321568]
    I'm in! Maybe the the winner get's a digital blue ribbon to use as a signature :) We need a good way to track all this though, it's going to be a lot of information. Maybe a new forum and each person can start their own thread? One thread can get ugly fast. If we make it a contest then everyone needs to have a frag from the same colony but it's just for our own benifit then I guess it really doesn't matter.
    [/quote]

I think it would get more confusing if everyone started their own thread. One thread is fine, just post your results. It's fairly informal without strict rules and prizes. It's a little competition mixed in with a lot of fun =) One update post every two weeks to update isn't that much information.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2524.msg26019#msg26019 date=1193325401]
    Interesting idea, and I'll be the negative nancy on this thread and just say "So this is the line for the free coral!?" But then again if every member who was getting in on it was chipping in probably not a problem. But as Norman suggested captive propagated would be best, however getting a "very cool looking coral nobody has" pretty much ruled out getting a colony from someone's tank or something, last I checked mariculture pieces don't come in that large.

Also seems that some pieces will have a leg up on others simply by where they're cut from, if they're tips or not, etc.

[/quote]

I think most of us are past that "line for free coral". We could all pay a bit for the frag to cover the cost of the colony. I also agree for captive propagated, but yeah, we'll have to find a unique and big enough piece. "nobody has" isn't too important, since it's not really an "add a free frag" but rather a little competition / race, making it all that much cooler. Ideally that's what we want, but I know what you're getting at mike.

It's true, some will be in better condition, but given the updates and good water parameters, I think they'd all do very well. If we did have some winner at the end, it wouldn't be the final outcome per say, but the greatness along the way ;)

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2524.msg26021#msg26021 date=1193329773]
    Could incorporate that information into the data collected (i.e. where they're cut from). That way we can actually see if it makes a difference or not and how different environments affect growth rates and shapes.

If we do go with it, I'm in. :)
    [/quote]

Definitely need all that data, and it could be easily tracked as long as everyone keeps that data themselves for the frag they receive. Maybe if we do it at the BBQ (end of the event) we could frag it right there and have everyone record down the info and report when they got home on a thread.

9. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I'm in.

10. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2524.msg26023#msg26023 date=1193333340]
    I think it would get more confusing if everyone started their own thread. One thread is fine, just post your results. It's fairly informal without strict rules and prizes. It's a little competition mixed in with a lot of fun =) One update post every two weeks to update isn't that much information.
    [/quote]

As long as the thread is used only for results I can see your point. If there is a bunch of chit chat going on in that thread I disagree, I can see good information will get lost fast. It happens too often.... but I must say it does appear to happen less on this forum. ... ah I'm sure it'll be fine either way and I'm guessing there will be chit chatting either way. I guess all the questions and answers are going to happen there just won't be an easy way to view a single person's progress or compare one anothers.

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2524.msg26018#msg26018 date=1193321568]
    I'm in! Maybe the the winner get's a digital blue ribbon to use as a signature :)[/quote]

That would be neat :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2524.msg26019#msg26019 date=1193325401]But then again if every member who was getting in on it was chipping in probably not a problem.[/quote]

Sure, chip in or even better... contribute a hobbyist propped colony. Like, what if 8 or so participants each brought a colony they had grown out. Frag and distribute the pieces. Everybody grows the frags out for a year or so. "Show Me The Colony!" :D

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2524.msg26023#msg26023 date=1193333340]It's fairly informal without strict rules and prizes. It's a little competition mixed in with a lot of fun =)[/quote]

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2524.msg26023#msg26023 date=1193333340][a coral] "nobody has" isn't too important, since it's not really an "add a free frag" but rather a little competition / race, making it all that much cooler.[/quote]

Yep, a little coral farming contest :D

We can even do like the pumpkin growing contests. We can see which colony is the biggest by October 31, 2009 :D

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2524.msg26023#msg26023 date=1193333340]It's true, some will be in better condition, but given the updates and good water parameters, I think they'd all do very well. If we did have some winner at the end, it wouldn't be the final outcome per say, but the greatness along the way ;)[/quote]

Yep, and yep! :D

The BOD has been talking about different club activites for promoting coral propping and farming. I like this one :D

12. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Should have both SPS & LPS ones too, so Jim doesn't get upset about too many sticks around ;) :D

Hmmm, I wonder if the nubs on the Jim Coral are fragable.. although don't know how well that would work out.

13. LeviT

LeviT Guest

SPS and LPS, sounds like a good idea. And I think a fee for the frag would be a good idea. Some folks may want to 2 in case they want to test their display vs their prop tanks. With that said a fee per frag seems fair but each one should be tracked.

14. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

We should probably start off with just one frag first, but in the interest of Jim ;) we'll do one SPS and one LPS.

moving forward we can do more. If we have way too many, people will get choosey, and it may get complicated.

15. Thales

Thales Past President

I am in, as long as its not wild caught coral.

16. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Sounds good to me, Art.

And yah, what Rich said :D

17. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

So far it looks like these folks are interested in playing:

Art
    Zep
    Eric
    Levi
    Mike
    Rich
    Norm

If participants can pitch in about $20 each, I could pick up a nice AC colony from Atlantis :D

18. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

I'm still up for it. Just let me know where to send the funds. :)

19. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Ill try this too!

20. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2524.msg26133#msg26133 date=1193463797]
    So far it looks like these folks are interested in playing:

Art
    Zep
    Eric
    Levi
    Mike
    Rich
    Norm

If participants can pitch in about $20 each, I could pick up a nice AC colony from Atlantis :D
    [/quote]

$20 sounds good. We could probably do this at the BBQ meet, and hopefully people can stop by for their slice. I can go with you to pickup the coral if you'd like Norman. Another trip to Atlantis would be fun =)