Who wants to play a [educational?] game!?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by kinetic, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Actually Mike, what is wrong with your tank? :D

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

The bottom line Eileen is I have this "poofy" type of algae both red and green that I can't seem to fricking shake, worse still it's not very attached to the rock (and yes i constantly do manual removal) so when it gets waterborne it tends to flap right into a coral (of course sps with tight branches) and then it starts off in there.

3. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

what day is this event?

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Dudley,

It's on Dec. 1st at Johara's house.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2544.0

Come on over!

:D

5. Thales

Thales Past President

I'm in. Art can I give you dough at the bbq?

6. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

sure rich. I think at this point this will be the easiest thing.

I'm front the cost, but be sure you all bring $20 to the swap. We now have 10 people including Rich, so we'll go for something around $200. If there's extra we'll either kick it back or donate it to the club.

Norman: My schedule is pretty nasty the next couple of days, but Sunday sounds like a good day to head to the LFS. Would that work for you?

7. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Id still like to participate in this too.

get something unusual!

8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2524.msg27073#msg27073 date=1195769771]Norman: My schedule is pretty nasty the next couple of days, but Sunday sounds like a good day to head to the LFS. Would that work for you?
    [/quote]

Today, Friday, would be really good for me. Sunday afternoon works too. As long as the Thanksgiving shoppers haven't raided the store by then :D

9. johara

johara Guest

I'd like to join in as well.

10. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Woops, didn't see this until tonight!!

Paradox and Johara, I've added you guys

Art
    Zep
    Eric
    Levi
    Mike
    Rich
    Norm
    Eileen
    nash
    Thales
    seminolecpa
    Paradox
    Johara

Everyone still bring $20. I'm going to make this the cutoff, because anymore and I don't know if we can frag the colony into that many pieces. If for some reason we do have more we can add more, but for now we'll set this as the cutoff.

Norman, I'll give you an email / call tomorrow about Sunday =)

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Ok, sounds good :D

12. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2524.msg27102#msg27102 date=1195922298]
    Ok, sounds good :D
    [/quote]

or I could go today too =) which one would work better?

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Oops, sorry. Just got back in.

I'm back home by 2pm on Sunday. So could go then.

14. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Hey Everyone,

Norman and I picked up a nice bright yellow piece today from Atlantis.

If you are NOT going to pickup from the BBQ this coming Saturday, please post here and coordinate someone to handoff the cover money and to bring to you, or a pickup.

Please bring $8 to cover for your piece to the BBQ =) We'll be fragging the piece in the afternoon.

15. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

A true yellow? Also, which species? Any pics? :)

Can't wait to see it.

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

AC is not "captive" in 99.99% of the time. I havew yet to see true "captive" colonies offered for sale, just in situ aquaculture. While not wild caught, it is still very much so a wild coral and requires nearly the same acclimation period. IMO this would be best served by fiinding someone with a PROVEN captive colony and going from there. We have many members that have some very large captive colonies, maybe if asked/prodded they'd donate/sell to this deal.

17. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2524.msg27143#msg27143 date=1196097286]
    [/quote]

Super bright yellow mille. Maybe a slight green in there. We'll have to see with peoples' lights. Povidone dipped yesterday. 12 hour interceptor starting this morning. No pics yet.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2524.msg27144#msg27144 date=1196097322]
    AC is not "captive" in 99.99% of the time. I havew yet to see true "captive" colonies offered for sale, just in situ aquaculture. While not wild caught, it is still very much so a wild coral and requires nearly the same acclimation period. IMO this would be best served by fiinding someone with a PROVEN captive colony and going from there. We have many members that have some very large captive colonies, maybe if asked/prodded they'd donate/sell to this deal.
    [/quote]

Yah, the Atlantis aquacultured labeled pieces are probably maricultured? This one was on one of those egg shaped concrete bases.

After everybody grows out their frags, they'll be as aquacultured as the Foster&Smith ones :D

Well, we can try for full blown multple generations aquacultured for the next contest.

I was just glad that we're able to have some member generated activity, and that we were able to pick up a suitably sized non-wc coral locally from a sponsor.

18. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2524.msg27173#msg27173 date=1196110848]
    Well, we can try for full blown multple generations aquacultured for the next contest.
    [/quote]

100% AC coral donation line for future contests starts here! :D

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2524.msg27173#msg27173 date=1196110848]
    [quote author=Ibn link=topic=2524.msg27143#msg27143 date=1196097286]
    [/quote]

Super bright yellow mille. Maybe a slight green in there. We'll have to see with peoples' lights. Povidone dipped yesterday. 12 hour interceptor starting this morning. No pics yet.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2524.msg27144#msg27144 date=1196097322]
    [/quote]

Yah, the Atlantis aquacultured labeled pieces are probably maricultured? This one was on one of those egg shaped concrete bases.

After everybody grows out their frags, they'll be as aquacultured as the Foster&Smith ones :D

I was just glad that we're able to have some member generated activity, and that we were able to pick up a suitably sized non-wc coral locally from a sponsor.
    [/quote]

They all are maricultured if on that base ;) Where would they secure a source for captive raised colonies and be able to offer them below a few hundred? :)

BTW if DR F & S labels it AC, it's at least 3rd generation according to my sources. They don't chop shop.

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

The F&S/LA web site says the ORA stuff is 3rd or 4th generation captive raised. They have other AC that is fragged from maricultured parent colonies.

Wonder how fast we could take one of our frags through 4th generation...

Y'know... grow it out, get a frag into a different tank, grow that out, get a frag into a different tank, etc.