got ethical husbandry?

Who would you like to see talk at BAYMAC

G

I'm just wondering who you'd like to see talk at BAYMAC this year. We have 3 slots and I would love to get some suggestions. I have a short list but I would prefer not to reveal it until people give some input :)

tuberider said:
Weiss, Theil, Calfo, the inventor of the Aqua-Ecolizer...

OK I should have stated "seriously, who do you want to see speak at BAYMAC next year" :lol:

OK new rule.... Bookfish and Tuberider can't comment on this thread :lol:

Come on guys, I'm actually asking a serious question :p

OK I can see you all are not going to be of any help :(

Ask a serious question and get a bunch of jokes instead :(

Last try, SERIOUSLY, who would you like to see speak at BAYMAC? I am giving YOU chance for input, but if your just going to joke around about it I simply will not ask again.

Since LEDs are the hot thing right now, a talk on that with various different LEDs products shown & discussed would be interesting. I know Jake talked at BAR not too long ago, but the amount of people attending wasn't huge, like BAYMAC will have, and I'd bet even those that heard Jake talk would be interested if he spoke again as there are always new LEDs coming out. I undestand Sanjay's talk about lighting last year was very well attended, unfortunately I missed it, ugh, but a lighting talk with emphasis on the different LED products, their PAR, applications, etc. I believe would have broad appeal.

Ok, I'd actually like to see more academic speakers, rather than 'reef gurus'. Obviously it's possible to be both like Sanjay. I nominate Professor Stillman as a speaker.

I concur on LED talk. However Sanjay's lecture was quite dry... in fact it was too much like a physics lecture. I would say if he could skip all the physics of how LEDs work and just get to the meat and potatoes of all the comparison/numbers/etc that'd be good, and do so verse existing lighting technology. People like Jake I think put LEDs on a higher pedestal than they really are, yeah they're great, but not 5:1 power consumption great, where as I think Sanjay actually posted real values.

I liked Christine's(?) lecture about bacteria and other nasties in the tank, but I saw the talk, don't need to see the same thing again.

Maybe some serious talks about collection practices then versus now, not sure how much (if any) advancements or achievements have been made over the past few years but I recall seeing talks a few years back about how things new to change... well have they? if they haven't what repercussions have occurred or not occurred.

Sorry, i don't know who all is a "talker" out there.. so I'm just throwing out some ideas of topics, and maybe Gresh or someone can figure out who would best suit that topic.

As far as collection practices goes, David Vosseler from SeaSmart is on my short list Mike :) So is Kevin Kohen (Live Aquaria) and Chris Buerner (Quality Marine).

Who people are suggesting on the BAYMAC Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/BAYMAC

Kevin kohen +2
Scott Michael
John Coppolino
Matthew Wittenrich
Ken Nedimyer
Ret Talbot
Jen Veron (sorry, we can't fly anyone in from out of the country)
Charles Delbeek

Frank Baensch. I'd like to hear about captive propagation of something that actually moves. Also would like to hear about what he's currently working on since he is no longer concentrating on pygmy angels.

How about someone like Terrence Gosliner? Maybe a talk on care and reproduction of reef safe nudibranchs? (if there is such a critter)

-Gregory

Matt Pederson comes to mind. And I'm always up for hearing that scoundrel Randy Reed! Actually Steve Allen would also be interesting since I think clubs represent the best parts of the hobby.

Dunno, he's CEO now so he very well might not have the time to come out. I'll ask him though just to help get the shirt list in order.

Somebody talking about Controllers and dosing pumps and technology and electronic goodies maybe? Also it seems like people like the Warner marine bio pellets, but they are pretty new so maybe someone with expertise there?

Back