High Tide Aquatics

Who's missing a monti eating nudi?

It appears I aquired a Berghia Nudi with the batch of DBTC frags I got Saturday so I just wanted to say thanks :) I have an aiptasia from time to time so hopeully I can keep it fed. Anyone have these?

I'm pretty sure I have the ID right. Here is a bad pic I just took.

BerghiaNudi.jpg

And some info on them for those not in the know.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/ac/feature/index.php

Ok, whats the difference between Berghia and these
http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm
I'm alittle pissed, I caught this SOB munching on my DBTC green polyped monti so out he went really quick like. I'm just hoping there aren't any eggs anywhere. I'm telling you, they look the same from what I can tell.

You dont want the monti eating ones... if it was eating the monti, its probably the bad kind for a berghia would not do that.

Look on the underside of your montis for eggs.

Size is the main difference between them, Berghias being larger and more robust. Monti nudis you really have to squint to see them, it looks like a Berghia to me. Munching on Montis is a bad sign, did it come in a container with a monti?

Unfortunately I didn't notice which frag it or they came with. What I pulled off the monti was either the same 1 from this pic that I broke in half or 2 smaller ones. I'll just have to keep an eye out for more.

Way back when, a couple years ago, I put all my montis on one part of a particular rock, I had 3 different colors of caps there, at least 4 different colors of digitata, probably the only saving grace is I didn't have any of the more exotic montis at the time (Superman, sunset, etc) but I noticed them dying... well one night I went looking at night after the lights went out, and sure enough I saw those summabitches all over! I couldn't yank them because these weren't frags, these were colonies that were encrusted onto the rocks. However I did manage to use a little syringe and with some dexterity work it backwards and suck in water when it's near by, and that's usually enough to pull them off/out. I did this every night, suck suck suck. Eventually I didn't see any more nudibranchs, but also there wasn't much left of my montiporas either.

So yeah they suck. there was an article about using potassium permanganate to kill them AND the eggs, however this isn't an in-tank treatment, but was shown very effective as a dip, where as other dips would kill adults but not the eggs. Problem with it though is you need to be half-way accurate with measuring very small amounts of this stuff.

They act quick to, one won't do too much damage, but if you happen to have more than one, (they might be asexual) then you get problems.

Hmm... I was gonna say monti nudi based on that pic, Levi.

Berghias here look pretty different to me:

http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html

Well what took you so long Norman :) Yeah that's what it was. I couldn't find any good pics of the monti eating nudi's but I dug a little harder and found some now. That's what it was. I'm going to try and do a vigerous hunt today and make sure I don't find anymore.

Sorry, Levi. Been super occupied for the last couple weeks :(

Haven't been able to post as much as I normally do.

Coral Revive is pretty good for dipping montis. Even more mild than Povidone.

No worries Norm. I'll let you guys know how the hunt goes. I put a few zoa's from Gorm's tank in my display so they could have came from there too but my guess is it came from a DBTC though it's impossible to tell who.

After reading this yesterday, I checked my tank. I noticed that my Rainbow Monti from Laspan (which right now reminds me more of a superman monti with a blue base and orange polyps) had some fresh white "tracks". Literally a continuous path. Coincidence ? I hope I didn't get a monti nudi some how as well.

IME (and I am by no means the authority) nudis tend to eat near the base and chew around there similar to a caterpillar rather than eat a swath like a lawnmower.

Oh Tony, those must be the rare lawnmower nudis :) jk

I noticed this morning that my green cap had a white corner on it. Unfortunately this cap has been growing nicely and it's become part of the rock so I cad to grab the whole rock and flip it over. The good news is I was able to suck one of them up but 1 got away when I took the rock out of the water. Well at least I know where it's camping out so I'll get it tonight.

Back