Kessil

Who's missing a monti eating nudi?

The ones the nudi's have eaten turn bone white on the normally colored surfaces or on the undersides they'll look kinda bumpy, almost powdery.

Tony, I'd nightly head out with a flashlight and if you have it a top down camera box so you can stare through the top of the water without ripples distorting your view.

Also have a turkey baster ready, squeeze all the air out under water, then if you see one move over it and release the ball and *SLURP* up they should come.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3556.msg41136#msg41136 date=1208659652]
Also have a turkey baster ready, squeeze all the air out under water, then if you see one move over it and release the ball and *SLURP* up they should come.[/quote]
Yep, that's what I've been doing. Didn't see any more last night and don't see any more damage this morning so things are looking good.

[size=12pt]Death Toll as follows[/size]
ill-violated-dead-smiley-17122.gif

superman monti toast :(
monti peltiformis shows some damage but I'm hoping for the best
green monti cap some damage but it's big so it should be fine
red BAR monti cap very little damage but i had to break it in half to get it off the rock to suck one up on it's underside
orange monti nodosa can't see any damage but I did pull 1 off the other day
monti spongoles well lets just say it's a lot smaller now but we'll have to see how it heals up
green polyp monti has a little damage but should be fine
false fireman monti has bleeched out on me but I think thats because i moved my k2 that was shading it

ouch!

Levi, I have a small superman monti frag that has refused to grow on the frag plug. It is made of some weird ceramic clay material (never seen it before). You can actually see the frag edge "avoiding" the plug. I'm going to try and pop it off. When I do, I can get you a small frag of it. It won't be big (pico frag), but it is all I can offer :-D

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/gallery/837_12_04_08_5_05_09.jpg

Thanks Tony but I'll pass for now. Once this blows over I need to set some goals for what I want to accomplish long term. Maybe a seperate softy and SPS tanks? not sure.....

Just an update, I hadn't seen any more for a couple of days but I pulled off 6 or so last night. I ended up breaking off the green cap in the pic to clear some off of it's underside. I've lost most of the growth that encrusted on the rock. I also cleared a few off the DBTC idaho grape colony but it doesn't have any visible damage but I can see some underneith but mainly in thick areas of new growth.

try using a superglue gel around the edge of your monti.They like to hide and lay egg in the craves between the rock.Down side is the white of the superglue will make them harder to spot when it sets.

Ok, so I could glue the in the eggs or nudis while filling in their hiding spaces at the same time.... good idea, I'll try that. I'm running low on IC-gel though.... guess I'll have to get some superglue gel until the next meeting.

Levi, how has it been going with the battle? It looks like I am having the same problem. Today when I came home I noticed damage on the bottom of the NY Monti Spongoles I got from you at the last meeting. I had dipped it but I guess there were eggs somewhere. I just got one out with a turkey baster and it looks exactly like in your pictures.
I am wondering if I should try to pry the frag off the rock and get it out or if I should cover the whole damaged area with IC gel and hope that I cover up all the nudi's and eggs?
Hopefully they are all still just on the Spongoles and they didn't spread yet.

I got the frag out and took some pictures. There were at least three that I saw. Is it possible that they just stayed on this frag since they had something to eat or do they spread throughout the tank?

Nudibranch2.jpg

Yep, that's them. Sorry, I mounted yours a while before the meeting so I should have worned you sooner but didn't think about it. I'm still pulling them off, about 6 or so 2 nights ago. The last ones were really small so it looks like all the big ones are gone and I'm just working off what ever eggs there were. Hopefully it won't go on for you as long as it has for me, this sucks.

No need to appoligize Levi, it happens. I will be keeping a close eye on my other monti's. Any idea what I should do with the frag? I would hate to let it go but if I dip it in TMPC and kill off the nudi's there could still be eggs somewhere. Maybe I should cut it off the frag plug, cut off the affected area and then dip and mount on another frag? TMPC is pretty hard on monti's I heard but I could try and see if the frag makes it.
Do they just put eggs at the base, on the frag plug or also on the coral itself?

Hehe, the potassium permanganate has more whoop ass than TMPCC... on the pests as well as the corals.

Eggs tend to be on the coral near the affected area in a shaded spot, but also can be on the plug/rock/eggcrate nearby.

You can try doing a light Povidone dip every 3 days or so for a few weeks.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3556.msg41790#msg41790 date=1209266941]
Potassium Permanganate! :D
[/quote]
Where do do get that stuff?

Stores that have a good amount of Koi pond stuff would probably would have it, in LARGE quantities. However before you use it for any type of treatment you need to be VERY careful about your dipping dosage, you can't go like the iodine based dips and eye ball a "dark tea" color or what not.

Here's an article on the subject, I suggest you read it first before buying however if you change your mind :D
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

For a normal dose he uses 50mg per liter (1000 ml) of water, and measuring 50mg is impossible unless you have an electronic scale with that type of accuracy, your kitchen scale won't cut it. Another option is to make a super concentrated solution, and then dilute it as needed. But still, my kitchen scale has subdivisions of 25 grams as the smallest accuracy, and that's 500x the recommended dosage. Norman could give you some pointers on doing chemistry math to dilute later though :D

Take 5g of KMnO4 and put it in 1000mL of water (like a typical water bottle..just make sure the kids know it isn't grape juice).

Take 10 mL of this solution (I am sure we all have syringes laying around for DOSING!!!) and dilute it into 1000mL.

You just diluted your stock solution by 100 so
5g/L --> 0.05g/L = 50mg/L

Technically dilute into 990mL of water :)

And yeah that concentration will probably stain your container purple, so might want to use a throw-away water bottle :D

Back