Jestersix

Who's on your cleanup crew??

All of the things you bought should help to a certain extent. The hermits are pretty much personal preference. I know they eat some algae, but enough to make a dent and counterbalance them eating snails/knocking over corals is up to you. Keep an eye on your sea hare, especially if you have really high flow. Also, he might eventually need supplemental feeding (once all the algae is gone, if it ever happens). The tang will probably help with the algae as well.

One thing to consider is removing as much of the algae as you can yourself. Everything I've ever seen eat algae seemed to prefer it when it was short.

BTw- did you ever figure out why you have excess nutrients?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4097.msg49156#msg49156 date=1216158356]
shrimp are NOT clean up crew critters, yeah they'll eat food items in the water column, but won't deal too much with scrap food.
[/quote]

I 1000% disagree. Shrimp sure will eat scrap food even other dead shrimp!!!!!

Quick update:
Post 5 days of getting clean up crew..... the 6 turbo snails kick BUTT!!! Sea Hare, well it was really small, so I dont think he is doing much. hermits so-so, and I didnt get any shrimp

I also have turned my lights off for the past 2 days and gonna probably turn them back on tomorrow....BTW Is this a good amount of "non light time" to try to get rid of the algae??

Cheers
ps thanks again for all the help and everyone posting!! :)

Where did you get your turbos from and do you know if they're the Mexican kind? How big are they? I'm looking for some- I have 4 but they're not putting much of a dent in my algae.

I got mine from Aquatic Gallery in San Jose.... they are BIG for snails...not sure if they are "mexican" but they are loving my algae....

They arent the fastest eating things, but do a good job so far!

Good Luck

Back