Jestersix

Why I don't use filter socks

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2292.msg23167#msg23167 date=1186890580]
Shoot, this thread makes me want to hook my old diatom filter up on my tank for a week j/k
[/quote]
Ah, Vortex love!

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2292.msg23156#msg23156 date=1186884987]
OK, I get it. No thought questions on this forum. Nothing that isn't supported by data. Pardon my ignorance.
[/quote]

Wasn't the point that I was addressing ;) Look at it this way. if I say "what?" to you, do you know how to asnwer? If I said "what color?" you'd have a instant answer. ASking how long something would take to break down but leaving out the crucial variables is just like saying "what?" to me :D

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=2292.msg23276#msg23276 date=1187050632]
I use filter socks, but mostly because it keeps the bubbles from my drain down. What does everyone do to eliminate bubbles?
[/quote]

I have an 8 foot sump! :D

Yeah, I don't have an issue with bubbles either, the pump return area of my sump is a little over a foot long, pumps are kept at the far side of the sump, I try not to let the water level drop too far so there's not many bubbles being produced in the first place, and water isn't rushing through it like a bat out of hell, less than 1000 gph.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2292.msg23288#msg23288 date=1187076798]
[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2292.msg23156#msg23156 date=1186884987]
OK, I get it. No thought questions on this forum. Nothing that isn't supported by data. Pardon my ignorance.
[/quote]

Wasn't the point that I was addressing ;) Look at it this way. if I say "what?" to you, do you know how to asnwer? If I said "what color?" you'd have a instant answer. ASking how long something would take to break down but leaving out the crucial variables is just like saying "what?" to me :D
[/quote]No problem, but that's how thought questions are. IF you agree that some % of particulate/ flake food added to the system would likely end up in the sock, and IF you agree that in the sock environment the food would be likely to get broken up and broken down more quickly than in the main tank and not be available for uptake out of the water column by other animals, then it would make sense to me that MIGHT be a good reason to change socks frequently, if the point is to remove physical waste and uneaten food before it can break down in the water column.
I would love to have this discussion based on actual data but I also just like the process of trying to think it through logically.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2292.msg23289#msg23289 date=1187105261]
[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=2292.msg23276#msg23276 date=1187050632]
I use filter socks, but mostly because it keeps the bubbles from my drain down. What does everyone do to eliminate bubbles?
[/quote]

I have an 8 foot sump! :D

[/quote]
And I have an 8"...skimmer!
(well it's actually a 6" skimmer but noone ever measures right!)

I have had my tank on skimmerless mode for 7 months now. Half the time I used the filter sock but changed it out after 3 weeks or so. The other half I got lazy and never put the new sock back on....its currently been off for about 3 weeks now, and I really don't see a difference ( no more algae than before) without it. I may try to leave it off completely now. We will see.

Back