Cali Kid Corals

Why you need to dose for your aquarium. (informational)

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Please feel free to add to this, I'm a bit of a geek in that when I drive I space out (I know, bad) on the freeway and often thing of things like mathematically how something works, well one thing that I was thinking of was keeping up your calcium and alkalinity and magnesium and... well just anything else via water changes.

Bottom line is that will never work!* (* with some exceptions)

Abstract
If you get one of these "good" salt mixes that have the "proper" levels of this and that, and those are what you want, you will never have those levels in your tank with out dosing. If you have creatures that consume those elements, then you'll have less than what you started with, if you change the water then you're mixing a solution of less than ideal with ideal, the end result will be somewhere in between those two values since you're diluting your ideal concentration with something less potent and the result is always going to be less than ideal (just varying levels of how much less).

The test
So what I did was use excel to compute how much of a percentage of "it" you'll have left with various levels of water changes. The way it was set up was as a percentage of what we want, not some ppm or something, so it doesn't matter how large or small your system it works the same.

Assumption 1: Constant consumption of elements. Now I realize this isn't true, if there's 200ppm calcium vs 400ppm I'm guessing the uptake might be a little slower since the water isn't as concentrated. I don't pretend to know exactly how the creatures in our tank use them, my guess is that they'd simply stop consuming all together. I'm not trying to show you exactly how much you'll be left with, the purpose is to show you that you will never get back those initial conditions on day 1. The rate at which you lose will differ but again that's not really important, so take the actual percentages that are left with a grain of salt (or a whole bucket worth for later days! :D)

Assumption 2: These are elements/values work in a linear fashion, so 400ppm/8dkH they all work in that same fashion in that to have half as much of the value, you take half as much of what that value is talking about. Things like pH don't work at all like that, the what needs to happen to go from a pH of 8 to 9 is much different than from a pH of 7 to 8. Even though the consumption doesn't work in a linear fashion, because the elements themselves do when they get doubled/halved/etc the idea still is valid

Assumption 3: I set my consumption rate to about 5% per day of the element, whether or not this is a true reflection of consumption again is irrelevant, if your consumption rate is slower then it will simply take longer to reach a lower value. 5% however does reflect a calcium level of 400ppm and losing 20ppm per day, so it's not totally off. Again with #1 I'm sure this rate isn't constant, but that doesn't matter.

What I did was take 6 separate cases. First case was the worst case, and no water changes at all, then a series of weekly water changes at 10, 25 & 50% respectively, a 50% monthly and a 10% daily which is used to reflect a "continuous" water change that some people are using (I did 10% a day just to show what will happen, the rate at which you do a continuous water change will affect how high or low it will get). I did this over a period of 60 days since that'd be equal to 2 monthly changes.

The results - Analysis
No changes: No big surprise here, you don't change the water your values will drop as elements are used up. Remember more than just corals consume calcium too! Most likely what would happen in reality is any coraline algae you have will simply stop growing, maybe even dying back and new stuff won't grow back in it's place. Snails and other inverts that use it for an exoskeleton will most likely have issues as well as it can't make a new skin properly. The graph will eventually level out, however these will be at levels too low to be useful in a tank, anyway you slice it this is not the way to go.

Weekly changes: Again no big surprise it has a dip that's similar to the first 7 days of the no change, then there's an infusion of new water which boosts it up slightly, but you'll notice never back to 100%, even with the 50% weekly changes (which is a lot of water to be changing) after a few weeks it never gets more than 80% of the normal. As time goes on the rate at which it is used slows down, but regardless of how slow it goes it still is going to be less than the previous week, they do eventually get asymptotic however and bounce around an average, that average even at 50% is roughly 70% of what you started with.

Monthly changes: This in behaves just like a weekly change except the infusion has a much more profound effect in how much it will change. While the monthly mark brings the values higher than that of some weekly changes, you have to realize the average is still below the weekly.

Daily change: This was to reflect the continuous change, due to my resolution being 1 day, it does a fairly good job of it and as you can see has an asymptotic limit that occurs quite quickly as such you don't see the up and down infusions of the weekly & monthly changes. When reality pokes its ugly head in the math and you don't get a linear usage of elements, i.e. calcium consumption slows down, you would see those spikes with a daily usage, however the end result is still the change, if you put in X concentration in to a mixture of X-Y concentration your end result is less than X. That being said this one would probably be the most preferable if you were to use only water changes to keep your elements up, it won't keep them up where you want them, but they'll stay fairly high regardless. Just note that's a lot of water, 10% daily over 60 days will be 6x as much water used to change as the volume of the tank! (That doesn't even taken into account using an RO unit and the waste water too).

The Graph
98062844.png

The Exceptions
Early on I said there were some exceptions to the rule here they are.

1: 100% water change. Yup if you pull all the water out, and put in fresh water with every water change you will in fact have 100% of all the values you start with... at least until the creatures start sucking them down! However this is usually not recommended to do except in the most extreme of catastrophic circumstances with a tank. Also note, this only works if you first pull all the water out, simply putting water in while you pull out dilutes your mixture.

2: Higher than normal values in your salt. Not all salts are the same, some have high calcium, some have high magnesium. If your salt is 500ppm in calcium but you only want 400ppm then you very well could keep up with only water changes, however you have to make sure to time your water changes such that you go below what you want so that those values don't creep up towards the value of the salt mix. Plus you'd most likely need to dose the other stuff as well.

3: Make your water change water higher to compensate. This absolutely would work, if you got the math down no problem. One issue though, this is basically the same as dosing your tank ;).

Conclusions
Even if you don't understand math, hopefully you can understand pretty pictures :D. The end result is you are not going to be able to get away with only water changes on your aquarium. You do need to dose to keep those levels where you want, period. You want a nice line that would straddling the 100% line on the graph, not the 70% line not the 50% line and certainly not the 5% line, even though that case most likely won't happen. Whether you have stony corals in the tank or all soft corals, there most likely is something in your tank that will need calcium and/or carbonates!

This however does not mean water changes are bad! In fact you could flip the meaning of the graph around to mean 100% clean water, and you can see how water changes are in fact a good thing!

Also this does not mean that you need to go out and get a calcium reactor, dosing pumps, or any other fancy stuff. If you have a low consumption then you simply could bring it back up every month with simple off the shelf products. However you really need to test to see how much you need to add rather than just blindly adding X cap fulls per gallon like many of the off the shelf products recommend. Also you should know how often you can test, since some elements register faster than others, i.e alkalinity changes are more easily registered than calcium ones (again don't know what, I'm not a chemist :D). So regardless of how your tank is setup, make sure to keep your inhabitants happy and make sure they have the elements they need in the water to grow happy and beautiful (or ugly if you dig that sort of thing!)

nice write up! the needs for dosing is easily understood. the harder part as you have mentioned is figuring out how much of alk, cal, and mag to dose everyday. has bar ever considered providing calcium chloride, sodium bicarb, or mag flake for purchase at our meetings? has bar considered buying for the club accurate means of testing equipment for all alk, cal, and mag? fwiw, i suck at testing water, lol. it would be a cool incentive for bar members.

BAR's sponsors carry all that stuff and up till now BAR has fully supported the local LFS's. Aquatic Collection sells it in bulk as does Neptune IIRC.

While I was on the BOD we considered it (test equipment) but voted against it in the long run due to various reasons. I can't speak for today's BOD.

Interesting stuff Mike. Thanks for the write up. I have a question for you now. I have always read that we should do water changes to replenish trace elements, but after reading your analysis I am wondering if my tank is running low on these elements even though I do water changes.

Should I start dosing trace elements in conjunction with Alk, Calcium, and Mag?

My analysis isn't simply for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium its for ANYTHING in your salt. So if there are trace elements in your salt mix and something uses them in your tank, then doing a water chance will not bring them back to the original levels although it would replenish some of them.

Now with that said, it could be trace elements are in such abundant supply and something you really don't need much of as such you will replenish them, similar to my exemption mentioned above in that your salt mix has more than you need (or I should say your reef inhabitants need).

Finally, I honestly don't know what "trace elements" are or if they really are a real thing our aquariums need. But as the old saying goes "If you can't test for it, you shouldn't be dosing it"

FYI
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/TraceElements.html

The fact is, based on published chemical assays conducted on freshly mixed synthetic seawater by Craig Bingman, Ph.D. (1999), Marlin Atkinson, Ph.D. (1998) and others over the years indicate saltwater made up for aquariums using the major brands actually has greater quantities of trace elements than are found in natural seawater. By adding to these already elevated levels, the unsuspecting reef aquarium hobbyist is not only wasting money, but also creating a chemical soup that bears less and less resemblance to the chemistry of the real ocean over time.

So yeah, it seems these trace-elements fall under exemption #2 as stated in my original article

Well thought out. And particuliarly appropriate to my systems which are super light on sand and rock. But systems that have plenty of both should not experience the same level of problems. If the CA in the water column gets low, the CACO3 LR and sand starts dissolving, liberating many of the major and minor elements required for calcification. But this won't keep your levels from being unacceptably low, it just keeps the absolute bottom line a little farther away.

Correct Jim, I believe the you need to have rather low calcium levels for any sort of significant dissolving to take place any way you cut it... but then again I'm not in any way a chemist or pretend to know what all is going on in chemistry. Math I can do really well however :D

It has to dip down below 7.4 IIRC, or was it in the high 6's?

I think dissolving will occur in the 7s however the rate also depends upon how saturated the water already is with Ca++ ions, which is why a calcium reactor needs to be at a lower pH (plus it occurs more rapidly at lower pH). At least that's what I recall reading not terribly long ago, but then again not a chemist so I might have been reading the information completely wrong.

carbonate dissolution can likely happen at both pHs :) The tricky part is that it isn't an on off switch vs pH, but rather a variable rate. You would have to solve the rate equation to find out how much carbonate you can dissolve at a give pH over a weeks time to see what you get :) Caveat: just because it can dissolve at most any pH, doesn't mean that enough will dissolve in a time period to matter.

Back