WIBG if Raffle winners could chose amongst 4 items?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by CookieJar, Dec 13, 2009.

1. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Before I get to my suggestion, I'll state that I feel the raffle items is top notch, and given the amount of items raffled compared to people & tickets, everyone has a very good chance of winning. Probably in most cases you get back much more value than the cost of the tickets.

My suggestion is that during the raffle, what about putting 4 corals in a group, 2 SPS & 2 LPS, or 2 SPS, 1 LPS, 1 softy, for example, call out 4 winners for those 4 corals. Winner #1 goes up and goes up and picks from the 4, and while that person is choosing, winner #2 is chosen, picks one and so on until the 4th person gets the last one of that group. There doesn't need to be any waiting for someone to choose, if you're slow then the next person may go up and pick whatever's unpicked. I don't know if this has been tried before, or if it would be too chaotic, but the goal would be to make it more likely that you'll get a coral that you'd prefer. If you like LPS, you don't get an SPS and visa versa. If you're a beginner it's easier to choose one that's beginner friendly.

This isn't meant to criticize the raffle at all (I've won my fair share), it's just an idea to hopefully provide some element of choice during the raffle.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I wish BAR would go to the 1 bucket per item method so you can pick and choose what you want to win and simply put a ticket in that box or boxes :)

3. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I wish we had 10 people to work the raffle table. :)

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

You only need two tops for the multi bucket method :p I've seen Frank Burr run massive raffles with just him doing it.

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

But he's Frank, a magical little wizard if there ever was one :D

6. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

I think the current raffle is great. All of the prices are great and sometime you might win an item that you do not want. For instant a person that doesn't have a calcium reactor might win calcium reactor media :D or an lps person might win an sps, etc ... so I do like the bucket idea, but like Bryan saids, it does take a lot of work. So how about diving up into groups like dry goods and give that a bucket, sps one bucket, lps one bucket, softies one bucket and so on, and then draw from those buckets until the items in that group are gone? H)

7. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

+1
    I'd be for a 4 bucket system that I feel would allow people some choice in the items they raffler for and not make the raffle too complicated.

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I'd say anyone saying it is more work has never tried it :) Sure, placing a bucket in front is a little more work but.... :lol: Now I am not saying do this with every coral we get, I like the above idea for to cover that part.

The trade off is you typically make more money on multi bucket raffles and you only win what you want to win.

As a sponsor I hate watching product I have donated not be greeted with excitement. That buzz kill doesn't help us and actually is a negative in a marketing stand point.

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

FWIW the majority of clubs and events I attend use the multi bucket method. To further put that in context only two club events out of the 40 or so I have done in the last two years did not use the multi bucket system....BAR and MARS!!!! must be a regional Bay Area thing (thinking it's more complicated)

10. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

If the BOD wants buckets at the regional as per the next BOD meeting, I'll head up the extra work to make it happen (I too like the idea)

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I have a great source for the cardboard containers. BAR would be the 10nth club i gave the info to :lol:

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

YOu know what, *if* I am around for the swap I'll help with the raffle as well. I mean, I don't win anymore despite buying a load of tickets :lol:

13. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

Gresh, you don't need to win anything so don't worry :bigsmile: just buy the tickets and I'll take care of them for ya

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:( But I do... I'm broke and Daddy needs 2x 250w MH E-Ballasts :lol:

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I've seen the bucket per item bit at a couple of the MARS swaps and I have to say I don't like it one bit. Its got its merits to be sure but the idea behind a raffle is that you have a bunch of prizes of "similar value" and you have x amount of chances of winning based upon the tickets. If you had a bunch for the Montipora Ohigottahave it, and the montipora digitata (orange) you'll probably up your chances of winning the digitata simply because no one else will go for it, however the coral that you really want most likely will have less of a chance of winning. I only see a separate bucket being useful for big ticket items....

but then what do I care, I most put money in for the club and the thrill of winning is what I like, not so much the prize :D

16. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

You just recently got the big prize!

17. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Me?

A strained back from carrying 100 pounds of wet sand to my car?? :D

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

The gift that keeps on giving Mike :lol:

You can't buy PAIN like that ;)

19. patchin