WIBGI: BAR added a Coral Bandsaw to the Equipment List?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Enderturtle, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Wouldn't it be good if (WIBGI) BAR had a Coral Bandsaw in the equipment list?

Any supporting member would have access to the bandsaw which would travel around the Bay Area the same way our PAR meter does.

It would be restricted to supporting members as this equipment will cost the club money to buy and maintain.

People could cut corals at their place and pass the saw along. It is a saw however, so don't cut your fingers off. Also the standard "you break it you pay for its repair" rules apply.

What do you think about this idea? For? Against? Why?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    jonmos75 likes this.
  2. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

That is an "AWESOME" addition to the BAR Equipment list and major thanks to who made this possible:cool:

3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Oh this is just a thread to talk about things we would or wouldnt like to see happen. Good to hear youre excited about this idea though!

There currently are no plans to add a bandsaw to our equipment list, which is why i started this thread.

This thread will help us assess your(you members/forum viewers) interests, potential issues, and ways of making this happen.

4. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I guess I got too excited over the thought and didn't read it correctly...lol

5. POOLSCAPES

POOLSCAPES Guest

I would think it would be great. I would make a recommendation that if you borrow it that you pay a rental fee of 5 to 10 dollars to help maintain the blades. Depending on how much fragging you do and the material you are cutting. Just a thought.

6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Thanks for the input poolscapes. Yeah if you're just fragging a few acan heads off of the colony, it should be free. If you're fragging multiple colonies into like 100 frags there should be a small rental fee to replace the blade. This is still all up for discussion.

I've never owned a saw but I use one now and then. How often do you have to replace the blade?

Also we would have to have rules: Certain materials are really hard and will damage the blade. I hear cutting "Real Reef Rock" is hard and dulls/breaks a blade quickly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I agree with poolscapes and there should be a 5 dollar charge to use the saw blades/maintenance ....

I get that Enderturtle you don't want to charge people for small frags but that would be too hard to police on what type of corals people will cut they might start with Acans and then turn into cutting another frag that will put more wear on the blades....

I too have not used a Band Saw so I don't know how long the blade will last but here is a link to the blade and its price, yet I have to call BRS this week and I will inquire on how long they typical last....
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/replacement-blade-for-gryphon-aquasaw-diamond-band-frag-saw.html

8. denzil

denzil Webmaster

It's a great idea but my concern would be the cost of the blade replacements. It wouldn't be fair if it just so happened to break on someone (through the course of several people) by chance and they would have to replace it.

This is why things like the PAR meter make a lot of sense as being a part of the tool repository. Its financial maintenance is minimal and something we would gladly cover. However, with the saw, I think it'd make sense to incur a minor rental fee.

Enderturtle likes this.
  9. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I agree with you Denzil that is why it would be wise to charge a small fee on to who needs to use it, and instead of the last person using the saw it should go back to one person who will collect the fee when you pick it up or when you return it which ever work best for BAR...

Now Depending if BAR is going to purchase a new saw or has an existing saw would more determine the Fees BAR would be better off charging....example

New Saw @ BRS is $400.00:
    If you have a Fee of say $10 per use then BAR would pay off the saw when 40 members have used the saw or even if you do $5 per use it would be payed off in 80 uses and this will also help pay for the blades down the road when they need to be replaced

BAR has a saw and just needs to cover the cost of the blades @ BRS is $70 + frt/tax so call it $80:
    If you have a Fee of say $5 per use that BAR would pay off the saw blade when 16 members have used the saw or even if you do $2 per use it would be payed off in 40 uses...

Now this does not get the member off of paying if he damages the saw from misconduct!!!!

10. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Coral reefer likes this.
  11. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

I make it a simple decision for you. How about I donate a new Inland DFS-100 to the club? I can drop it off at the swap this weekend. I personally like Inland better than the Gryphon as it can make much finer cut. The blade on the Gryphon is twice as large so it takes away a lot of tissue on smaller frags and generate more frictional heat on the immediate cutting area. Let me know what you guys want to do.

Beside, I can help with the repair of the saw in the future, if needed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    gimmito, neuro, Geneva and 5 others like this.
  12. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

So yeah I think there should be a fee to use the saw. It should be reasonably priced so that people will actually want to use it. But at the same time it should be priced enough to pay for maintenance (replacing the saw blade, parts) and should help with the cost of the Bandsaw purchase.

I like this idea.

We should also implement the following rules or some rules like it:

*Must be Supporting Member (your fees help pay for stuff like this)
    *Must have been with the club for at least 2 months (anyone can pay 30$ for membership and then take off with the 400$ saw). We need some ways of protecting this equipment.
    *Must post what and how much you plan on cutting.
    No cutting into materials that would be too rough on the saw (real reef rock, etc)

Neptune Aquatics you guys are toooooo awesome!!! @denzil @Coral reefer

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    jonmos75 likes this.
  13. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Having a saw donated to BAR would be WOW :D

In regards to who does & doesn't get to borrow the saw, we can easily require a tank journal thread and/or must be a member for x number of months or must have x number of posts. I highly doubt a thief would invest that much time and energy to make a couple hundred $ haha

I like RC's policy - 50 posts or you have no access to classifieds, a similar rule would be very fair and having 50 posts is plenty for us to get to know a new member.

Enderturtle likes this.
  14. euod

euod Supporting Member

Great gesture Robert:) Very, very nice!

jonmos75 likes this.
  15. euod

euod Supporting Member

Great job Enderturtle! You're living up to your role more than anyone can imagine. Thanks

HiFidelity and jonmos75 like this.
  16. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

OMG - what a generous gift! Now I must plan a field trip to Neptune Aquatics. I don't typically drive to SJ from Castro Valley but perhaps I can get a group of us to make the trip!! Thank you, Robert!

17. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

+100!

Robert, there has been some discussion on blade life and replacement for a saw like that. Do you have any guidance on that?

18. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

After the Frag swap I stopped by Neptune and I was talking to Robert (@robert4025 ) thanking him for the donation re: Band Saw and being such a supportive sponsor for our club and then I also bought a couple supplies and Fish....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Geneva likes this.
  19. Finnaddict

Finnaddict Guest

Looking into getting a saw so I have done a little research. Gryphon blades have copper in them so you cant use them so everyone seems to get blades off of Amazon for half the price of BRS. Depending on what your cutting will also depend on how long the blade lasts. Concrete plugs and large, dense rock will dull it a lot faster. For the saw to last it needs more maintenance than just blade changing. Everyone will need to clean the saw appropriately after every use. Nothing worse than getting a dirty saw you have to clean before you start working. With Gryphon saws the sump is on the bottom so you have to change the water and clean the saw between species of corals your cutting so you don't swap toxins between corals. Inland saws have the sump up top so a full cleaning between species is not necessary.

Enderturtle likes this.
  20. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Here is my suggestion on the saw blade wear issue.

The saw gets passed around with no blade. The person receiving it is responsible for his/her own blade.