WIBGI: BAR added a Coral Bandsaw to the Equipment List?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Enderturtle, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Interesting idea! We will surely consider it when deciding on the policy for the club, thanks for the input. Would likely be cheap if we bought a couple dozen in bulk...

2. Prisonfood53

Prisonfood53 Guest

What an awesome resource for the club to have. For those of you who haven't become supporting members it's probably the only money I have spent in my first year of reefing that I never had any remorse/regret dishing out. I believe it has paid itself several times over.
    Robert thank you for the generous donation.

Ryan

denzil and jonmos75 like this.
  3. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

A new blade retails for ~$70! This is pretty steep for perhaps a one time use of the saw. Even at a deep discount that might be too much.

There is also the wear and tear issue of inexperienced users trying to change blades.

I vote for a small fee per use, perhaps $5. Try that for a year or so and see what happens. Just like with the PAR meter, we have to trust our members to be responsible and step up if they broke it.

jonmos75 likes this.
  4. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I think a someone asking to borrow the saw is not going to use it for 5 frags once. This is a heavy duty piece of equipment.

While I'm not saying that members who only want to cut 5 frags once can't ask for the saw, I think it's more economical for the club not to be responsible for the wear on the blade.

How about I take your approach to trusting members 1 step further. Saw is sent with blade but we request members who are going to be cutting a lot or cutting dense rock or frequent users to purchase their own blade.

On another note. This can cause serious bodily harm! How is the club setup in terms of liability?

5. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

What if we had Saw Meets? once every 2-3 months we schedule for the saw to be in a different part of the bay area (based on where members reside) where a hand full of people get together and hack their corals in a group? (bring your colony in a bucket, go home with a bucket full of frags)

This way it's safer, there should be at least 1 person there who knows their way around power tools and if the blade is broken or worn out in the process the cost is easily affordable when shared between a few members.

Ahruk, Geneva and jonmos75 like this.
  6. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I like this idea! I don't think I'd ever get to the point of wanting to saw my own frags so that is why I enjoyed watching @POOLSCAPES (Joe) do it during our fragging workshop! (Also a convenient way to give away frags!)

7. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

Hi All...sorry I couldn't make it to the swap this time. We got short on staff last minute.

I hope everyone find the donated saw useful. Before I gave it to Denzil, I've already greased the upper wheel with marine bearing grease and also gave some extra in the box.

The lower wheel have the tendency to come loose once in a while. If this happens, someone can bring it back and I can help mod it so its more durable. I need it for couple days for this.

I can rebuild the entire saw down to the rebuilding of the motor so no worry. If you need replacement blade, it will be about $45/each. Normal price is about $70. I can order some spares for the club if someone would just wire the money to our paypal account @ neptuneaquatics1752@gmail.com.

Robert

denzil likes this.
  8. Ahruk

Ahruk Guest

Thanks a ton Robert!! So awesome and generous :) May have to head down to Neptunes' if we have time tomorrow, always love a good excuse to look at cool coral and maybe even get something cool :D

9. denzil

denzil Webmaster

This is all great feedback from everyone and we're (the BOD) thoroughly enjoying the participation from our members in providing ideas of how to properly run the support program for this bandsaw.

Let's keep the feedback and ideas coming so that we can hopefully close out the details on this program and get it lent out soon for you amazing Supporting Members! :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. Vhuang168

Any updates on this?

11. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Yup the bandsaw is still sitting at my house, underneath the kitchen table.

Ill bring the discussion up with the rest of the BOD to get this thing going.

The bandsaw is very easy to use! Ive used it a couple times. Pretty hard to cut your finger off unless you really want to cut it off....you would need to hold it there for quite some time.

I think ill make a youtube video on how to use it, make up some rules to protect the bandsaw and our members and we'll start lending out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Coral reefer likes this.
  12. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Our apologies, we're currently focusing on other aspects of the club which are more strategic for the club.

13. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Any updates on the rules for this? I'd be interested in cutting something up for dbtc.

14. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

It's still sitting under my kitchen table.

Some time this week I will write up some rules for this and we start passing the bandsaw around.

Rules are necessary to protect the clubs bandsaw so that everyone in the club can use it.

Look at the PAR meter. It's pretty much been stolen. This club doesn't have a PAR meter anymore until that guy who quit the hobby, gives it back.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  15. Vhuang168

I thought someone from the club went and got the PAR meter already?

16. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Last I heard, the guy stopped communicating with us.

We definitely tried getting it back.

17. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Maybe we should have the borrorer give deposit to use BAR equipment.

Geneva likes this.
  18. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

Hi Folks - If it's available, I'd love to borrow the club's band saw for a few days to carve up some pieces of coral as part of my tank transfer. A deposit or small use fee is totally fine!

Thanks!

19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  20. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

Awesome, thanks - that was the link I was looking for!