WIBGI IF BARS DID A PODCAST ?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by gimmito, Apr 9, 2010.

1. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

I was just thinking the other day...Wouldn't it be good if BARS did a monthly podcast ? I think we have a great pool of resources to choose from. Who wouldn't want to hear about Jim's propagation techniques at Green Marine, Rich's cuttlefish breeding, DBTC, or a Tank of the Month such as Mark Poletti's ? What do you guys think ?

2. porksmash

porksmash Guest

I'd listen to it.

3. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Sounds like you got yourself a job..

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

You didn't say "not it"

not it :)

5. gimmito

I guess if you come up with the idea...run with it huh ? LOL. I'll look into the equipment needed. If someone can ask Jake Adams what he uses for Reefbuilders it would be great (eg. Rich, Gresh, Charles, or Jeremy). I think it would be cool to have our own podcast and possibly feature an interview with our monthly speakers such as Jake, DBTC, Coral of the Month, Tank of the Month, Product Reviews, Nubbie Corner, Fish/Invert feature, etc.

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Yep, run with it as long as there is no big conflict with club mission and focus.

Sounds like a cool idea. Maybe see if you can get some other people to join in to help so you don't burn yourself out.

Pretty cool when you get a few people together pitching in.

:D

7. gimmito

Okay....so does anybody have experience with recording, editing, posting podcast, & all that good stuff ?
    Jim

8. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

My wife has all the stuff to record the podcast then she has a pro do the editing.
    I'll find out all the details and get back to you.

9. Thales

Thales Past President

If you have a mac, you can use garage band. Pretty easy and straight forward.

10. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

The digital recording device is Marantz PMD660.
    You will also need a good microphone for around $100.
    I can get specs for the microphone if you want to go this route.
    This equipment will give you a high quality professional audio recording.
    Clearly it can be done with less expensive equipment but the quality may suffer.

11. gimmito

Thanks Jon and Rich,

I shot Marc Levenson of Reefcast and Reef Addicts an e-mail and here's some things he recommended:

Hi Jim,

It comes down to money for some gear. How good do you want the quality to be? Do you want high quality? Or can you simplify it somewhat? Like reefkeeping - we buy one thing, and after a little while you know you need something better and have to buy it again.

For reefcast, we had a simple microphone for the first podcast. By the second one, we had a USB powered microphone. By the third show, we'd purchased a 16-channel mixer and some high end headsets. It was overly complicated, and each time we set up for the next show we had to fight various wires and knobs trying to make it work the next time. The Mackie mixer and headsets was about $2000. We used it for the next 30 podcasts.

I'm recording the shows with a Zoom recorder. You can see a picture of the type on our Facebook page, in the Album folder. It has microphones built in, and records right to a small memory card, using two AA batteries. It was $300. You may prefer to have a small mixer and separate microphones. You'll want a very quiet controllable environment. Sounds in the background can be very distracting or even irritating. Habits need to be broken, like smacking your lips when talking or playing with something (pens, pencils, rotating a bottle on the table in front of you....)

You can edit the audio files with free software: Audacity. Once done, export it as an mp3 file. That file will be hosted on your club's site.

You will need to create a XML and RSS file, as these are used so people can subscribe to the podcast. Those files will go on the site as well.

You'll need to create an account on iTunes, which can take about a week until they approve it. Once it finally approves, then you can start to release the shows via iTunes. Their site will be reading the XML file, which will then list your latest show. Subscribers will log onto iTunes when they think about it, and that is when those people will download the new (and older) shows from your club's site.

Don't use commercial music in your podcasts or they'll get flagged by iTunes. If I use anything, I don't run more than 30 seconds to avoid infringement.

This is a process with a learning curve, and can be very frustrating. Have plenty of harddrive space to store original files, and then edit a copy of the original to avoid losing content due to user errors.

I hope this overview helps, and I'll answer specific questions as time allows. I'm handling the podcasts for this site myself, so I'm pretty well versed on the entire process. Google is your friend, and will have tutorials for anything you are trying to figure out, especially at those late hours when you need to get it done and no-one is there to talk to.

All the best,
    Reef Addicts

12. gimmito

Jon,

I checked out the specs on the marantz and they seem ideal for our application. I'm a soundman at my church, so I have access to some shure sm58 vocal mics.

Jim

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

There are better recorders than the Zoom, my guitar player has the Zoom and it's like a little plastic toy. I'll ask my percussionist what he got, it's much sturdier and didn't cost that much more.

14. gimmito

Jeremy,

I have a drummer friend who uses the H2 for recording sessions and loves it. I like the H4n for podcasting and the Q3 if we end up doing video also. Do we have a budget for equipment or is it something we just pickup ?

15. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Good stuff, Jim. Thanks for taking the initiative!

There is no budget for this, but Bryan and the BOD will want to see a total cost of equipment and plan for the first few shows before we commit club funds. Doesn't need to be too elaborate, just enough to know the money is well spent. I'm looking forward to the proposal.

16. Thales

Thales Past President

What about a proof of concept before the club spends any money? I 5 minute lower quality thing done on someones laptop?

17. gimmito

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been updating. I kinda assumed if I came up with the idea I would buy the equipment. I've been keeping an eye out for some deals on the aforementioned recorders. The marantz unit Jon recommended is around $500 and the zoom one is roughly half that price. I guess it depends one what route we want to take.

Jim

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

See the Presidents post:

I wouldn't buy it yet if no budget has been approved unless you are willing to keep it if the budget is not approved :)

19. Thales

Thales Past President

I would spend no money, use a laptop, and do a 10 minute version of the podcast as a proof of concept - and go from there.

20. gimmito

Gresham,

I don't mind buying one b/c I'm sure I can always use one being a sound guy. Having one right now is not a big priority though. To be honest, I was throwing out the idea of a podcast because it would be a cool way of getting BAR out there to the masses. I really don't have time to head this up since I have a full plate with the remodel, but will help out any way I can. Rich's idea makes sense...maybe somebody could bring a laptop, record a brief intro, Charles or Jeremy could host, and maybe Rich or yourself could be interviewed ?

Jim