WIBGI our LFS guide looked like this?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Guest, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nyc-store-ratings/

I love how they have street level pictures. If some one (hint hint) could make the back bone, I'll take a few days and drive to every store and take pictures of the store front :)

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

minus the ratings though :D

3. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

So your volunteering ;D great

4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Hmmm. I think Ian and I could probably do store fronts shots. I will talk to him after the holiday....he is going to Hawaii.

5. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

Isn't that what google maps street view is for?

6. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

[quote author=Apon link=topic=5578.msg69762#msg69762 date=1229395537]
    Hmmm. I think Ian and I could probably do store fronts shots. I will talk to him after the holiday....he is going to Hawaii.
    [/quote]

You can also ask members to take the pics of the their LFS and email it over. It's not a problem for me to take about 4 in the EastBay (Oakland, ElCerrito, El Sobrante).

7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5578.msg69824#msg69824 date=1229413208]
    Isn't that what google maps street view is for?

[/quote]
    That's what I was thinking, granted not everyone might be on street view, but a quick link to the actual image should be sufficient plus the added bonus of already being in google maps to find your way there!

8. Elite

Elite Guest

But having a thread will save you sometime searching for LFS's address or phone #... I think it's a good idea.. We just need someone to do it ;D ..

9. sfsuphysics

I agree Phong, I'm just saying you can probably get the google streetview picture/link without having to take pictures at every store.

10. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5578.msg69842#msg69842 date=1229444257]
    But having a thread will save you sometime searching for LFS's address or phone #... I think it's a good idea.. We just need someone to do it ;D ..
    [/quote]

We have a "Local Resources" link on the front page for all the bay area LFSes. (Thanks to Gresham for putting it together!)

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=20

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5578.msg69845#msg69845 date=1229445100]
    I agree Phong, I'm just saying you can probably get the google streetview picture/link without having to take pictures at every store.

[/quote]

You can, it's just another step and many people don't know about that feature ;)

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=5578.msg69760#msg69760 date=1229394577]
    So your volunteering ;D great
    [/quote]

Didyah read my post? I did say I would take the photos...I don't have the webskills to do the rest.

I thought you where no longer BOD?

This forum was created just for stuff like my post Dudley. A place to suggest something. Are you suggesting I shouldn't post here unless I am the one to implement it?

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5578.msg69846#msg69846 date=1229445118]
    [quote author=Elite link=topic=5578.msg69842#msg69842 date=1229444257]
    [/quote]

We have a "Local Resources" link on the front page for all the bay area LFSes. (Thanks to Gresham for putting it together!)

[/quote]

We do have a list, just a list though. If it's something that can't be done or BAR doesn't want to do, that's fine by me. It does bring traffic to the site though as every time some one mentions "where's the stores in the bay area" a link to the page resolves it. The more informative, the more useful. Right now you have to look at the resources, then go get google maps to find the place.

14. Elite

Elite Guest

Take it easy Gresham.. You know how BAR is.. Whoever suggest something, usually that person will have to voluteer/implement it. D. just joking around.. ;D

15. sfsuphysics

16. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I think its a good idea and I would say we should only do it for our sponsor stores. While I am not on the BOD anymore, I would still wait to talk to one of them, but understand they have bigger issues to deal with right now. I would wait until after Xmas to see progress on this.

Erin is right would could just use google maps if we want.

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Just our sponsors? Why? Do people limit their shopping to them?

I'm simply saying Would It Be Great If.... it's not like I am saying this has to be done and like yesterday :) It's merely a suggestion after seeing what MR did. That's it. Make it more if you want but it's only a simple suggestion and the VERY reason this forum was created ;)

18. iani

iani Guest

I do see where you are comming from Gresham. We could have maybe a link to google maps on our resource page. That probably wouldn't be too hard.

19. sfsuphysics

Not to hard at all, the three I posted (you gotta click the links) do just that.

20. zambavi

zambavi Guest

If it helps I can get pictures of store fronts around the south bay area. I planned on taking a day over the holiday period to do a 'Fish Store Tour' anyways. Probably can get 6 or 7 stores for you.