WIBGI since we have way too much coral in the club

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by tuberider, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tuberider

tuberider Guest

WIBGI, We hooked up with a club in the Mid-West say Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (OMAS), and sent them a bunch of corals to help people out who lost their tanks in the big freeze/power outage. I'd be willing to pony up some pieces.

2. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

We'd been talking about that kind of stuff. Sister club activities and such.

Also can help out new clubs starting up.

I'd be up for that :D

3. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Me too! ;D

4. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I can't wait until I can help with this type of stuff. My display tank is more like a frag tank for the most part. :)

5. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I am in for at least a couple of corals

6. Elite

Elite Guest

This club is bad.. We are now forcing other clubs to take our corals ;D :D ..

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I've found a few clubs on RC that have experienced losses, both OMAS and COMAS come to mind. They both seem to be fairly active. I'll poke around tomorrow and find out which clubs mission statement best reflects ours, I think it's a good place to start. Also, if anyone has any experience with any clubs that are having issues as a result of the freeze please chime in.

I figgure the next meeting would be a good collection time/cutoff point. It gives the other clubs tanks time to recover, and gives us time to either grow a few things out or transmit the animals to whoever is holding the animals if you cannot attend the meeting.

I am willing to hold the animals, pack and ship. I think it would be good if we could coordinate a shipment with the sister clubs meeting.

Any thoughts?

8. Thales

Thales Past President

Yay! Someone putting up!

Manhattan Reef Club is jazzed to do a box trade (I talked with them at MACNA), so give them a look. |:D

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

:D

Jeremy, if you're poking around in the other clubs it would be helpful to get an idea of how they're like in their forums too.

Each club has it's own kind of personality, if you know what I mean :D

10. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I am willing to help with the coordination and packing if you would want it.

11. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Now I'm all excited, Norman, you bet I'm gonna troll the other clubs boards, it's a lotta work growing coral, and I don't want to go giving them to a bunch of Oakies (did I just say that?).

Bryan, I'll need help most likely due to my living in Narnia, and will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone, and keep the ideas flowing...

I'm off to play the bass for everyone, come out to the HMB Brewery if you're bored and want to drive a long way to see me play and sing.....

12. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I'm all for frags in Jeremy.

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Now I'm thinking expanding the DBTC program to the lucky club receiving the frags might be a good idea. All the corals donated would be in a registered DBTC program with records kept by the selected club.

As time progresses we can continue it through "box trades" with other clubs as Rich suggested, all DBTC of course (see the pattern?)

14. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Luv the idea!

Swweeet!

15. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

16. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

I love this idea. I will put up some frags and if the time and location are close I would be willing to help pack and ship.

17. bookfish

bookfish Guest

It would be neat to have a cross club platform (forum) where BAR members could extend the DBTC goodness to other clubs.
    The I could post like this:
    "Hi, I'm bookfish from BAR and I have 3 xyz frags for the first 3 (sister club) members to reply.
    Standard DBTC rules apply.
    Shipout in the Feb. box"

Wouldn't that be good?

18. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2707.msg30050#msg30050 date=1200287541]
    It would be neat to have a cross club platform (forum) where BAR members could extend the DBTC goodness to other clubs.
    The I could post like this:
    "Hi, I'm bookfish from BAR and I have 3 xyz frags for the first 3 (sister club) members to reply.
    Standard DBTC rules apply.
    Shipout in the Feb. box"

Wouldn't that be good?
    [/quote]That's kinda the plan, I sent Paul a follow up PM, we'll see how he feels. At this point I'm looking at the Feb. swap to get something going regardless weather or not it is for a club that has had recent losses (acts of god) or not.

19. bookfish

bookfish Guest

It's not that I don't feel we should help others who have had tank crashes, but by doing it through the DBTC program, we better insure that morph will become established in another club. Since we may not personally know the recipients, having their local club make sure they PIF seems to make sense to me.

20. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Absolutely! Like you I'm not comfortable throwing coral into some black hole.