WIBGI there was a new member round at the swaps...

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by yardartist, Feb 8, 2010.

1. yardartist

yardartist Guest

I have been to two swaps and the free for all round comes rather late. The picking is crowed from everyone going after corals. Could there be a round say after everyone else has gotten three or four corals to allow all the new club members who have not joined in by bringing, 'buying' corals get a round to pick one?

As a thank you for coming, and hoping they have a good time after adding the coral to their tank. Something they may keep long term. Something experienced members could help them choose?

The first year I went up to get free corals and did bring home two animals. Both are no longer a part of my tank as they were not what I was looking for long term but free. The pickings were almost all softie by then. Personally I did not feel the generosity of the club as most people represent that part of the swap to be.

Still keep the mop up table at the end.

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I believe in the past years, after around round 4, it has been opened up to all people, including those who didn't qualify for the swap etc. Basically a free for all to clear out the coral from the tables.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I could have sworn this was done a few times, I think when we were still at ASAP.

Maybe not so much just new members, but true reef newbies.

4. Sfork

Sfork Guest

Oh cool I look even more forward to coming then :)

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Yep, as long as I've been going to swaps, the free for all has happened at the end, this year will be no exception there gonna be a lot of stuff there.

6. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Jeremy you and Mike seem to be saying different things. Mike did you mean there was a round for new reefers before the swap got to the free for all time?

I did not go up to the table last swap so I do not know what was left. The time before everyone had about six picks and then the free table was a softie grab. I heard there would be a newbie time to get corals and it was odd to be offered scraps as a new reefer. I can only tell you how it came across to me.

Like I said I had a much better time meeting Jason and Ryan than I did with the coral portion.

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Nope I believe Mike was responding to Tony's post about opening up the swap to anyone to get the tables cleared after a few rounds.

The "common table" will be available for anyone to pick from, so there are two avenues :)

8. Apon

Apon Volunteer

isn't there a freebie table too?

9. yardartist

yardartist Guest

All the non qualifying corals and anything else anyone places on a free/'common' all day table. As an example I will be bringing Caulerpa prolifera for this table.

Then at the end of the swap all the unpicked corals basically go on that table.

I was proposing an alternative. Maybe something to consider next swap with more time to talk about it. Thanks.

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Yeah, what Jeremy said in his second post. I did not mean to imply there was a newbie picking round explicitly. There was a couple times when newbies were allowed to pick from a select group of corals that was collected ahead of schedule (often this were from those who just wanted to see how things were like, and didn't bitch up a storm about the 3 coral minimum requirement) and this happened at ASAP to my knowledge didn't involve those who were actually picking in the swap though, and there has been a "free for all" round where newbies (and by newbies I mean those who were new, didn't participate in the swap) were allowed to pick as well as those who still wanted corals.

I am personally going to bring an assortment of acropora frags specifically for the newbies, those who don't have corals, or maybe those who want to try SPS but are afraid. It won't be anything ultra hot, but some green slimer, green micropthalama, blue tipped tricolor (with a heavy emphasis on the brown color ;)) will be available but not in the swap proper area. All of these corals grow quite weed-like in my tank, and probably would be good candidates to "test the waters" (no pun) as far as acropora SPS corals, and if people kill them, then it's not really that big of an issue.

11. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Mike it looks like the free corals will be much improved selection from a year ago. Thanks,

12. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Is this the line to give out free corals?

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Yep, this was at ASAP.

A few people brought corals specifically for the new members. It was a kind of "Welcome to BAR" gift for those that weren't able to participate in the actual swap.

If people want to do something similar for Saturday, we could collect coral donations at the Welcome Table :D

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I would like to add that one of the ideas behind the common table was to provide coral for people that are just setting up tanks/learning and that the varieties will expand with time as well as the donations. Like Mike I will be bringing some SPS stuff for that table for folks to try out, it doesn't just have to be what is on the list.

15. Sfork

Sfork Guest

How long will the frags be good in their Tupperware containers. I have a lunar new year celebration to go to at 6 pm in walnut creek. If it's safe I'd like to avoid driving from SFSU -> chabot -> sfsu (drop off frags)->walnut. Would it be safe if they stayed in their containers till 10pm? I don't have anything to swap but i look forward to getting a noob friendly frag. Also look forward to seeing everyone at the swap!

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Most noob friendly should be fine.

17. 99sf

99sf Guest

Sfork, are you bringing a cooler to store your frags during the celebration? I recently used a styrofoam cooler to move 8 fish, and, over an hour later, very little heat loss had occurred.

18. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Christine for cool places like the large room we will be in on Saturday, I pack a bottle in the cooler for tap hot water. I can refill it at Chabot if the box gets too cool.

The table looks to be intentionally stocked this swap. Thanks for making this clear Jeremy.

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Corals getting "cool" isn't that bad, but corals getting hot is BAD.

20. yardartist

yardartist Guest

What is too cool Gresham?