WIBGI there were some formal rules and expectations around DBTC

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by LeviT, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LeviT

LeviT Guest

This came up at he BOD mtg but I thought I'd throw it out there for some more input.

WIBGI if there were some standard rules around DBTC? For example;

• [li] for slow growing corals you were expected to give back x number of frags (with examples) [/li]
      [li] for fast growing corals you were expected to give back x number of frags (with examples) [/li]
      [li] a member for x period of time before participating [/li]
      [li] attended at least 1 meeting before participating [/li]
    I'm not trying to say it needs to be hard nose regulation just thinking out loud..

So right now what is expected to be returned? I looked in the sticky DBTC threads and didn't see anything. Again, go easy on me I was just thinking about it and I've already decided I don't like some of the above suggestions. :)

2. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

We pretty much left it to the person offering the frag to specify what his or her particular rules would be.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=829.msg7420#msg7420

The older posts tend to list rules in more detail. The newer ones, people reference "standard rules" of which there really are none.

But basically, if you're doing a "pay it forward", the more you put back, the more good stuff happens in the club and community :D

3. LeviT

LeviT Guest

That's what I was thinking when I was finishing up my post. I've thought about several other items that might be good "standards" for DBTC but I keep coming back to the fact it's just an honor system so the intent of the program is to propigate corals throughout those in the hobby to lesson the impact to the reefs.

So in other words, never mind, ignore this thread :)

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Actually, this is a good thread :D

Not just honor system, but the concept of PIF allows us to create opportunities for people to do good things for others.

So wouldn't it be good if in addition to encouraging coral propagation, we create opportunities for the club to become overrun with people who get excited about putting others ahead of themselves?

And you thought we were just about collecting frags :D

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2860.msg30286#msg30286 date=1200445982]
    [/quote]

Na, didn't think that at all. It's just my structured side coming out :)

6. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

If each DBTC frags resulted in 3-5 new colonies in 3-5 new tanks and ended, it would still be a success IMO. This doesn't mean I don't wish them to keep going :p

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2860.msg30290#msg30290 date=1200452273]
    [quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2860.msg30286#msg30286 date=1200445982]
    [/quote]

Na, didn't think that at all. It's just my structured side coming out :)
    [/quote]As someone who has put a few frags in the DBTC I can say I do it to keep the pressure off the reefs and animal transport costs. Of course I would love to be a little old man, and see my corals still being traded, if not, we do what we can.

Trust me, if you are successful you will be rewarded with a beautiful tank chock full of corals, and as time goes by it will provide you with access to some sweet stuff (right Norman ;-)).

Perhaps what we need is ranking system, where rarer more in demand corals are given priority to people who are more active in the program, and have a proven track record. That would ensure that those corals will have a higher chance of being propagated, and when those people that did not qualify improve their skills and contribute more, will be rewarded in time. Good things happen slow in this hobby bad things fast.

8. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Well put Jeremy and not a bad idea.