WIBGI we could track our swap corals?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by sfsuphysics, Feb 15, 2010.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

As I was packing corals the before the swap I was thinking it'd be cool to know where my corals have gone. Had an idea of simply having a URL on the frag label with a request to go there and track. Perhaps incorporate that google tool that allows you to put flags all over the map. Could make it anonymous as well.

Now I don't have a website, and I really don't have the computer know-how to get something like that working, but hell how hard could it be :D

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I like it says the guy who doesn't know how to implement it :lol: Good idea!@

3. sfsuphysics

Yeah, well most grand ideas have come about from someone saying "If you could do this..." then letting someone else figure out how to do it :D

I forget the google/app that did the tracking, I seem to recall Rich (??) had a link to it on this board once to show where all the BAR members were located, and that gave me the general idea of showing the corals. Especially would be nice for these regional events where people care coming from 3+ hours away.

4. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

oh oh!1 barcodes on coral tubs and bar codes on name badges. I'll work on the 100megawatt scanning laser!

5. sfsuphysics

Doesn't have to be that complicated

Step1: Frag label that at the bottom says "Please visit www.tinyurl.com/mike to help track my corals"

Step2: Have a post somewhere here where the tinyurl points to giving detailed instructions on what to do... i.e. visit "this site" and please type in your zipcode plus the name of the coral (who knows maybe have some simply alpha-numeric value they can enter so you know exactly when that coral was given out, etc)

Step3: Have the map page I mentioned earlier (http://www.frappr.com/bayareareefers), and people can enter it. Note: it seems this is no longer a free tool, although I'm sure there has to be a freeone out there.

Step4: Look at all the places your corals happen to be

Ok on second thought, that's really not that difficult to get going. If I can find a free frappr type site maybe I'll start that up.

6. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I would love to see it happen Mike but honestly we have trouble having people update coral status on the DBTC corals.

7. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

It was neat to have one of the swappers pm me the fact that he picked two of my corals. So at least I know where two are.

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I think you miss understood my post :) I was agreeing with you and stating I had no idea how to implement it. I was just lamenting a few minutes prior about my lack of programing skills and all the cool stuff I can't get done quickly due to it :(