WIBGI...we finally established the long overdue B.A.R. F.R.A.G.S. Group?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by earthboy17, Mar 16, 2008.

1. earthboy17

earthboy17 Guest

Of COURSE this stands for

Bay Area Reefers
    Friends, Relatives, And Guests Support Group

The idea hatched when I drug my wife out to Dublin and Livermore to pick up some DBTC frags from Bonnie and Tony (thanks again guys!). Tony's wife and my wife hit it off making fun of us 'nerds' for our behavior, finding certain things interesting, speaking in acronyms, etc. You all know the drill.

We were joking about starting a support group where the friends, relatives, and guests (ok, I don't like "Guests" as much, but I don't a better "G" yet) can gather to talk about the eccentric behaviors of their loved ones, to laugh at the common nerdy aspects, and to complain about the "reefer junk creep" where fish tank stuff slowly takes over the room.

Ideally this would happen somewhere near ASAP at a coffeehouse or B&Nobles or something, so we can drop them off on our way in to ASAP and pick them up on their way out. Hopefully they'd get their complaigning out of the way all at once, leaving us hassle free for the next 30 days. ;D

So the name is still up in the air (as well as the idea).

Throw out what you think, as well as a better acronym for a group where friends and loved ones can vent about putting up with fish talk, fish junk, fish $$$, and the need to stop at any and all LFS on the way home (even if the way home is 30 miles out of the way).

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Wouldn't be the first "support" group. When us "wow geeks" got together, the ladies got together to form W.O.W. (Widows of Wow) :p

3. earthboy17

earthboy17 Guest

WOW is World of Warcraft?

4. Natterjak

Natterjak Guest

My poor husband would be joining the ladies in those two groups, lol. Although I haven't played WoW in a while now - I just log in every once in a while to stay up to date on patches! :D

5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Tom, I totally know where you're coming from. Neat idea, and pretty funny too.

I did post on another thread about some of us reefers needing our own support group (because of unupportive partners). Your idea probably is the more positive approach :D

Seriously though, I know a few reefers that got out of the hobby specifically because of all the stress they were getting from their partners over it. Sure, I only know one side of the story, but I can't help empathizing. I felt bad for them.

I was just talking to somebody recently on the issue too. I think sometimes the reefer personality so laid back that it just puts up with a lot of stuff from the partner. Too many times I've seen some poor reefer getting the evil eye, cold shoulder, snarky attitude etc from their partner.

More than once I've told somebody, "Dude, she's only your gf. You're a really nice guy. Just realize that it doesn't get any better after you're married. She's on her best behavior *now*." I'm half joking and half serious when I tell them. I just hate seeing nice guys(gals) catching all kinds of stress.

6. earthboy17

earthboy17 Guest

That's a very very good point. And this is a bit of a joke thread, but a lot serious too.

Norman, you're absolutely right about what you said. It could be beneficial for some people to talk about their stuff with people who understand (b/c they're dealing with it too..). Or girlfriends/fiances could find out from the veteran wives what they're in for...

Mostly it would be a random social time, and could possibly be just my wife (maybe Tony's wife too?) hanging out at a book store. But I think on top of the sillyness, it could be cathartic as well.

(Regarding the warcraft stuff, check my next thread...)

7. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I'll mention this to my wife and see what she says. A lot of time we have kids events to taxi for so she ends up doing that while I'm at meetings but once in a while she is free so I'll keep this in mind.

8. tuberider

tuberider Guest

See this is why after 10+ years with my g/f, she's still my g/f, I live grief free :D

My g/f actually wants to come to the next meeting to make sure I'm not out "tearing it up", or "tying one on" as they say. I believe Mikey wife will be coming too, she and my g/f are buddies

[quote author=Earthboy17 link=topic=3361.msg38017#msg38017 date=1205739887]

Or girlfriends/fiances could find out from the veteran wives what they're in for...

[/quote]

I think the veteran wives are thinking "good go to a meeting, piece and quiet for me" as they draw a bubble bath, and pour a mimosa.

9. earthboy17

earthboy17 Guest

Yeah, see, that's my problem. We're still under a year married... my wife still wants to be around me.

Give me another year... : P

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Heheh, my g/f loves the tanks, however I'm not allowed to have them upstairs where they'll be "ugly"... which is fine by me because I have a nasty habit of getting water all over the place when doing tank maintenance... I just let her think she's won that battle (it is my house afterall!) but it's one of those things she joined into the reef that is me, I didn't get into after the fact so that probably helps a bit.

And yes I think that'd be fun seeing Bonnie's husband with all the other "wives" in the corner :D

11. Natterjak

Natterjak Guest

My poor marriage is so ass-backwards. :D

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

13. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I cook and my wife burns water :D

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3361.msg38236#msg38236 date=1205896577]
    [/quote]You and me both Tony, my g/f get so angry when she cooks, I had to take over kitchen duty a long time ago. It's good because when I feel like having bacon cheeseburgers, that's what we're eating ;)

15. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Hehe... when I cook, the kids say, "You cook good too, mom!"

:D

16. Natterjak

Natterjak Guest

I don't cook and I don't clean. I'm a terrible wife, actually!

17. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I'm lost in this thread =X

18. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=3361.msg38217#msg38217 date=1205889184]
    My poor marriage is so bass-ackwards. :D[/quote]
    Had to make a correction :)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3361.msg38238#msg38238 date=1205897006]
    [quote author=Gomer link=topic=3361.msg38236#msg38236 date=1205896577]
    [/quote]You and me both Tony, my g/f get so angry when she cooks, I had to take over kitchen duty a long time ago. It's good because when I feel like having bacon cheeseburgers, that's what we're eating ;)[/quote]
    I'm with you guys. My wife can cook but she get's ticket off because I look over her shoulder and mess with everything ... ah, that's up too high, needs a little salt ;D Plus we grill outside several times a week so I'm in charge of the fire by default lol <insert bevus and butt head smiley's> fire... fire...

19. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

damn. I am the luckyest reefer ever. While my wife isn't into my tank enough to want one of her own. She loves to watch and ask questions about it. And can she cook. Since i work nights and live 5 minutes from home. I have a standing list of coworkers who are coming over to dinner to have her cooking. Best of both world.

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I actually like cooking. The 5 minute commute is pretty good though!