WIBGI We hooked up MR with the goods?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by tuberider, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tuberider

tuberider Guest

It's time boys and girls to pony up, belly up to the BAR, spread the love etc.

I don't know about you folks, but I love my Kedd's Green table that MR sent out for the BAR. Those of you lucky enough to score coral from MR at the last swap know what I'm talking about, they payed it forward, and now it's our turn.

Here's the nuts and bolts-

I have a 29g tank cycled and ready, I will hold the corals before shipment to minimize stress, their swap is on the 27th.

We have a BOD meeting on the 8th, and a general meeting on April 12th. I'm asking for your donations at these two meetings unless you are willing to drive to Narnia, where of course members are always welcome at my little funhouse, shipping will be arranged to be done ~21st of April.

Since shipping is such a critical thing, I ask that people provide QUALITY NOT QUANTITY, with larger, healthier, hardy, desirable corals. Remember they did not send an army of brown digi, we received healthy, healed encrusted pieces. I feel BAR should return the favor :-*.

If I have no idea about lineage, or the frag/s need time to color up, heal, encrust, or if they need my attention (mounting, cutting, etc.) chances are you'll see them on the tables at the general swap. MR sent us some very nice stuff, and it's only appropriate for us to do the same ;)

Feel free to post what you'd like to contribute so we don't send out an entire box of Idaho Grape.

Also, Bryan (our fearless $$ guy) had expressed willingness to be a drop off point. I am in his area frequently, and could potentially arrange a pickup from him as well.

One thing..... anyone have a 150w bulb I can borrow or have for this whole thing? It doesn't need to be new by any stretch, Preferably 14-20K, I will be using an old lighting system on this, and after firing it up I realized the bulb I have needs to move on to greener pastures.

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm really looking forward to contributing to MR's swap.

BTW, I'm putting in a big chunk of FAD 8), how 'bout you?

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

It would be interesting if we can get a "top 10" list of what they are after (corals within reason :p). As said many times, our everyday corals may be really hard and desirable over there.

3. tuberider

tuberider Guest

That's what this thread is about, is it X-treme? Hell if I know, I see something I like and I get it, so to a certain extent I'm not the judge of that BAR is. So in that respect it's an open discussion, which we can talk about.

Right now I guess what we need is to figure out how densely we pack the box so we know where to set the cap on #'s. My vote goes towards survivability, of course, (ya know BAR mission statement and all....)

I know there is someone in the club with an amazing amount of experience in the packing shipping realm, I believe he's got a cool name that starts with a G, I hope he can help with that part of logistics.

4. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks for heading this up Jeremy! I wish I had .... anything grown out in my tank :)

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3200.msg35479#msg35479 date=1204169964]
    Thanks for heading this up Jeremy! I wish I had .... anything grown out in my tank :)
    [/quote]In time you will have a DBTC machine "La Maquina de DBTC", I'm still all about cranking out 1st generations :D

6. hooked

hooked Guest

Im with Levi , but you know what I have in my tank and if you can find anything in there for them its theres . If you need any help let me know .narnia is my home too ! its nice here ;D

7. Thales

Thales Past President

I have some PM and some other stuff for you. Will bring to the meeting.

8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Yeah the biggest thing that Jeremy hit on is "Quality" not "Quantity" that being said from what I saw that came in here, they definitely have the goods over there, it's not like some mid-west reefers club where if you toss down some orange digitata they'll worship you like gods :D (no offense to my mid-west friends :D).

That being said what exactly is quality. To me my corals are really just corals I have, there's nothing that I immediately shout out as my prize piece(s) or anything. That being said, you can raid my tank for frags of stuff if you knew what I had :D Only zoas that I have that are probably "pricy" as far as corals are Norman's AoGs (Norman's versions not the 18,000 versions that look like them). As far as LPS, a few indo acans, 1 aussie-acan (looks nice but isn't ga-ga), blue & red favia (very similar to the LE triple threat favia) although I've given two pieces of this out, one to pam, one to Kenzo, Pam said her piece died, haven't heard from Kenzo, Norman is on the list for a piece, but if it's desirable I can cut another piece and in the time to ship maybe it'll heal up good. I have a handful of others as well, but again nothing I really consider ga-ga. SPS, I'm really hurting, everything I do have that's probably desirable is too small to frag. I mean I got the Becker Tort, white polyped digitata (that no one seems to want :D), so yeah..

Like I said, BAR can raid my tank, as sparse as it may be for "the good stuff"

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3200.msg35478#msg35478 date=1204169913]
    That's what this thread is about, is it X-treme? Hell if I know, I see something I like and I get it, so to a certain extent I'm not the judge of that BAR is. So in that respect it's an open discussion, which we can talk about.[/quote]

Thanks for being the collection point, Jeremy :D

Quality - healthwise, not necessarily quantity.

X-treme or not, I'd say that if you think it's really nice and you can share some, then pass it along :D

10. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Since My collection is pretty small still, Im unable to frag anything unless its a pico sized frag which is probably not great for shipping. Would you accept small $$ donation to aid in shipping?

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Hmmm.... some cool macro algae?

:D

12. Paradox

Paradox Guest

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3200.msg35495#msg35495 date=1204180526]
    Hmmm.... some cool macro algae?

:D
    [/quote]
    I can do that heh

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Remember folks, this is the FIRST box trade not the last. We're not asking for blood from a turnip, so if you're at all concerned about what you have to frag, or the frag size you are able to submit don't worry you'll get your chance. There's plenty of coral ready to go!

Believe me, it's amazing how small a box can be when you're trying to pack things up.

Just for kicks I'm thinking of sending a box with deli containers separately, prelabeled, just to give it the BAR vibe.

14. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Jeremy,

If you aren't going to the BOD meeting and people are planning on bring some to drop off I can bring them home and drop off to you later that day if you want.

15. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3200.msg35507#msg35507 date=1204216977]Just for kicks I'm thinking of sending a box with deli containers separately, prelabeled, just to give it the BAR vibe.
    [/quote]

Nice! :D

16. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'll kick in some Ugly corals...

Ugly blue monti, Ugly red prostrata, Ugly blue cespitularia, Ugly green nepthea... other stuff.

The last two probably should be deslimed and floated in extra water for shipping. Actually, I like floating frags in general.

17. Thales

Thales Past President

Floating good! If using deli containers, the frags, mounted or unmounted, can be glued to the bottom of the container.

18. TimTen

TimTen Guest

I have a new 14K DE bulb, if that would work for your fixture.

19. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Ok, I've decided I'm not going to the MARS swap on Saturday, just too much to do this weekend for me to basically cut the weekend in half, but I'll see what I can do about making some frags of some stuff that might be nice.

20. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=TimTen link=topic=3200.msg35569#msg35569 date=1204239676]
    I have a new 14K DE bulb, if that would work for your fixture.
    [/quote]That would be really cool Tim, I'd gladly return it when the box is shipped out.