WIBGI you got a guide for your first pick of your first swap!

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by houser, Feb 14, 2010.

1. houser

houser Past President

You know, someone to cruise in there for first pick who knew what you were looking for and could help you find it. Just one time...

2. houser

houser Past President

Your first pick of your first swap is what I meant to say

3. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

In theory that's what we in the red shirts are in the picking area for. I'm sorry we didn't manage to help you!

4. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

So that's what you guys were doing?
    I thought you were watching to see if I touched a container without taking it. :D
    I was in the "A" group. I picked badly. All I saw were a gazillion containers with bad handwriting.
    I think I missed the second round by not paying close enough attention. I ended up donating my first pick to the academy, a pokerstar monti from Ian's tank that I grabbed with 5 seconds left (I have a rainbow monti ). After that I was just lame the rest of the picks.
    Any advice for picking next time?
    Maybe a super powered LED flashlight?
    I was just hoping I would see a coral that was fabulous but I never did.
    Overall, I was delighted with the event and got to exchange DBTC corals and meet new people.

5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

No advice from me. That's exactly what happens to me :D

Ok, kinda advice... or at least this is what I do nowadays...

I just look for a container that has the name of someone that I know has a healthy tank and grows nice corals :D

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

And I I can't find one of those...

I pick a container that has a nice looking rock that I might use :D

Or else I look for a nice container... also that I might use :D

7. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

Ask someone. When I first started I was ask norm to point me to something good and he never dissapointed.

8. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

No red shirt here, but had more than 3 different people asking me to help them. :p

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

That first pick of the swap in the first group is always a mixed blessing, you really have to know what's out there and have an idea of what to get. The ultra-choice pieces are the ones to zoom in for, but you need to know where abouts they are. I think the first round should be a tad longer if there's not going to be a preview time. And if you get stuck with a lousy first pick, you really get screwed because you have to wait a long time for your next pick.

Only a couple people asked me about something, one asked me where something I brought was, another asked if there was anything good left, another asked if there were any chalices out there. However to be completely fair and not abuse my power I didn't browse the tables before the swap either so I really didn't know what was out there either.

10. I echo Mike's comments ... I did help several folks find stuff but it was more, "Have you seen any clove polyps" or whatever. I didn't get many requests for special stuff, which I think is because those who want those "special" things don't want to waste the seconds talking to someone about what they are looking for. Also, to be fair I was like Mike and didn't browse so when my turn came around I was only marginally informed about where stuff was.

My impression from "inside the corral" was that this last format was much fairer than past formats where browsing was allowed. No-one made a beeline for a specific spot on a table where a past dicovery had been "stashed" (typically evidenced by a bolt through the gate followed by an exit about 20 seconds later), and I overheard a lot more exclamations about "look what I found". The crowd management was a bit more difficult, especially with folks carrying around a pick looking for something better, and we had to be a bit strict to get everyone out at the end of the later rounds. However, if we can have one or two more helpers the next time we do the regional swap (not as necessary for the BAR only swap) we should be fine.