High Tide Aquatics

Will the hobby survive through the recession/depression?

I'm starting to get back into the hobby after the move and recent tank crash. After being away a while, it seems the economy has taken a toll on the hobby. I notice a lot of people selling off their setups. Stores and wholesalers going out of business. I guess it's expected when any hobby is a luxury not a necessity. I just hope the hobby can last through this and help keep the stores in biz.

Its a good point, Hiep. Times are very tough.

For this reason, and a few others, I have continued to support LFSs by continuing to purchase both live and dry goods. Sure, I might save a buck or two online, but the online retailer won't be fast enough when I need that last minute bulkhead, aqualifter, pump, etc. I also like being able to see the actual fish I'm buying before I pay for it.

In order for the LFS to survive a new model is going to have to take shape, it's not just the comony, it's the increase in a fantasy based lifestyle that isn't helping either.

tuberider said:
In order for the LFS to survive a new model is going to have to take shape, it's not just the comony, it's the increase in a fantasy based lifestyle that isn't helping either.
Exactly! And our stores had better step up if they want to survive. So many stores are still dirty, poorly ventilated, smelly etc... And that is all before we begin discussing the systems/ animal care/ pricing and presentation. Stores have to offer a proper fantasy-based hobby experience to really grab a customers attention. I mean we're competing against Halo and GTA afterall.

See I think the hobbyist can survive a recession no problem, sure you might need to scale back, or hell even put things on hold until you're on you're feet, but in the end the hobbyist will always have the option of jumping back in... but as this thread seems to have gone is a direction not so much a hobbyist but the LFS which can't exactly open and close at a whim (although some do try :D)

But the hobbyist? Nah they'll always have options, which is what Jeremy might be eluding to in that stores needing to change their models, the same old tired model as if they're the only game in town won't work when everything a hobbyist needs is a mouse click away.

Back