Kessil

Will this turn into.....

I pick up this candy cane couple days ago. It's under the shade right now .. So it's not as bright as it should be...
candycane0cu.jpg

Do you think it will turn into this???
candycane.jpg

My light is 2x250W 10K XM /w 2x54W T5 actinic ... Under the T5 light, this thing glows..
I think Atlantis Aquarium light use 400W 20K bulbs.
I've been looking for this for a long time.. Hopefully I'm score this time :D

Yeah it should turn into the bottom. Although the bottom one is either under heavy actinic or over exposed or artificially colored with photoshop. but I've seen those colors from mine, although the growth isn't what I would like on them.

My neons started out looking more like the second picture. That was when I had them under 2x ODNO 10k and actinic, and 50/50 mini compacts.

After I put them under MH for a few months they looked like the first pic.

I moved them to the bottom of the tank, slightly shaded, to see if the color would return.

Yeah, they grow slowly.

Color saturation looks turned up on the second pic.

Is your from Atlantis? I've seen the one at Atlantis in person, and man does it glow green. I've been meaning to pick up a frag.

I owe you a pump Elite, it's killing me I still have this thing and haven't had time to get down there and give it to you. Rest assured I haven't forgotten about you, just trying to find time to drive down to SJ.

Don't worry trmiv.. take your time :)
I didn't get it from Atlantis... It's kinda funny to pay $30 for a head of candy cane :D
Hopefully it will turn "very" green.. It's much more green in person...

Elite said:
Don't worry trmiv.. take your time :)
I didn't get it from Atlantis... It's kinda funny to pay $30 for a head of candy cane :D
Hopefully it will turn "very" green.. It's much more green in person...

Exactly why I've been back on forth on buying the candy cane. It's nice, but $30 for candy cane is tough to swallow.

Caulastrea grow very fast when you feed them regularly! My purple and turquoise morphs do anyway. I do notice the color changes depending on how close to the light they are, and what kind of light. I think mine prefer the more actinic end of the spectrum.

Elite, looking good!

Darcy, the lavendar candycanes I got from you last year grow way faster than any of my other ones. They kick ass on the teal and the neon green.

I've been feeding a 2 or 3 cubes of frozen rotifers to my 72 every day for the last few weeks. The candy cane really seem to like them. All 3 types are showing more growth.

To feed, I wait for the halides to go off, then I turn off all the pumps and dose whatever food. I sorta target my lps depending on if I'm lazy/sleepy or not. After about 15 minutes, I turn on the powerheads for circulation, but leave the main pump switched off. After a 30-90 minutes, I get the main pump and skimmer back on line.

A lot of things effect how well a photo will represent the actual corals color under a given light source. Some of which could be cameras ability, camera settings, how the extracting and or editing program are used, how the editing monitor is calibrated and how the viewing monitor is calibrated. Generally speaking if a photo looks to good to be true it probably is. Here is a photo of the same coral you show in your first photo only under blue light. when all my lights are on it looks green. By the way we sell these for $8 per polyp.
caulastrea.jpg

Hi Steve,
Mine is neon green. There is no blue in it. Under actinic, the green even more intense .. All the pictures showed were taken under 250W XM 10K plus T5 actinic.

Your candy cane is very nice too. Got any pic taken under 10K bulb?
BTW, where is your store anyway?

Elite,

Here are some cuttings I just moved to one of the prop tanks so the color has not yet been effected by the different light source. Left is under 10K Ushio right is a 16 month old 50K Iwasaki.

caul2.jpg

My store is in Guerneville. Hit my www button below for more info.

Back