Reef nutrition

Wilted / Shriveled Button Polyps Sea Mat

Can someone help me figure this out? They do hang out in front of my cleaner and peppermint shrimps' home, but I don't think I've seen them nibble on it. I've seen my Yellow Tang pick at them or around them...

Before:

P1000666-vi.jpg

Now (for about a week now):

P1010287-vi.jpg

Parameters:

Salinity : 1.025
Alk : 9.5-10
Ca : 400-450
Mag : 1350-1500
Ammonia and Nitrates zero

Dip them in a solution of tank water and hydrogen peroxide in the neighborhood of 5:1 tank water to peroxide, leave them in for about 10 minutes.

I just lost my colony of blue tub zoas to a nudibranch. They were looking like yours wilted and not opening fully, then I saw the little bugger, very well camouflaged. I was able to pull him out with a pipette and examined him under a magnifying glass, he was about 1/8" long and looked just like the frilly edge of a zoa, same brown color as well. Luckily my other two colonies of zoas were not affected.

I gave a few polyps to my friend so I will be able to get them back. The few polyps I he has are fine and healthy, just need to grow out a bit. I now dip all new additions on arrival.

I would friggen kill to have a palythoa eating nudi. The zoa ones don't touch em :(

yellojello said:
Would Revive dip work on those? That's all I have atm.

It will work, however, IME peroxide and Zoas/Palys is hard to beat.

Funny story, I was dipping some corals trying to kill some pest algae the other night and got distracted with a phone call that went on and on. During the phone call my lights went off on my tank. At that point I thought I'd gotten all of the corals back in the tank, boy was I wrong. The next morning I awoke to find that I had moved my one Zoa/Paly rock onto my center brace prior to placing it back n the tank, needless to say I was upset, these are pretty dang rare strains and quite attractive. I tossed the dried up rock back into the tank and hoped a few might have survived, two hours later they were all open like nothing happened. Vlad is correct, you cannot kill those things :D

Yah watch out for the 10% (or was it more then that?)... I got a hold of some of the strong stuff and DAMN that stuff IS strong.

tuberider said:
yellojello said:
Would Revive dip work on those? That's all I have atm.

It will work, however, IME peroxide and Zoas/Palys is hard to beat.

Funny story, I was dipping some corals trying to kill some pest algae the other night and got distracted with a phone call that went on and on. During the phone call my lights went off on my tank. At that point I thought I'd gotten all of the corals back in the tank, boy was I wrong. The next morning I awoke to find that I had moved my one Zoa/Paly rock onto my center brace prior to placing it back n the tank, needless to say I was upset, these are pretty dang rare strains and quite attractive. I tossed the dried up rock back into the tank and hoped a few might have survived, two hours later they were all open like nothing happened. Vlad is correct, you cannot kill those things :D

that's what I'm worried about, now *IF* you wanted to kill them but save the rock, what to use? boiling water? kalk? dry air for 1 week? A wire brush?

I would be VERY, VERY, VERY careful when ridding any rock with Palys. dry the rock then into a muriatic bath, outside where there's good ventilation. Looking back at all of the sea mat I sold when I was a kid it's a wonder I'm still alive, or have all of my limbs at the least :p

CookieJar said:
that's what I'm worried about, now *IF* you wanted to kill them but save the rock, what to use? boiling water? kalk? dry air for 1 week? A wire brush?

Sounds like you are planning a murder ;-)

Oh no DO NOT USE BOILING WATER... very very bad idea. Vaporizing the toxin making it airborne is a sure fire way to get very sick/possible die :(

Back