Kessil

Wiring conduit?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Anyone ever use this on a tank? I've seen the wrap around stuff used, but that doesn't look terribly useful to protect from any splashing water or what not, but I'm trying to brain storm ways that leaves a safe avenue for wiring (halides & T5s) to go from under the cabinet to ontop. Oh and no I won't put the ballast above the tank, too many potential issues there, plus the power cords typically are not long enough to reach below.

Oh yeah, obviously the grey PVC material, not the metal stuff :)

True... but the issue is if I somehow get a loose strand of copper touching the PVC I won't shock the hell out of myself compared to the metal :D

Just trying to figure a way how to clean up my wiring for my electrical a bit, I originally put the wires in the exact configuration I did and as far away from the tank as possible due to the RKE and the noise issue (later finding out it had nothing to do with the noise of any reef equipment). Either way, an arm full width of wires ziptied together probably has issues in and of itself :D

If you have the powercable inside the tube, how do you take it out if needed?
My ballast is inside the stand and I use the wires/cable management for most of the wires.
insidestand.jpg

iani said:
Mike the "metal stuff" should be fine as well. Its aluminum after all.

You just want him to get zapped, fall over and knock his teeth out :p

Not wise to use around a water source, especially a saltwater source. In fact IIRC it's a code violation to do so. PVC is a MUCH safer and better choice. One drip the crosses the power source and the conduit and you now have a live unprotected line waiting to zap you.

Mike I use it all the time, love it. Every commercial install I have done used both metal for areas it could be used and PVC for the rest. If I don't use that, I use water proof Romex and use splash covers on the PVC outlet boxes.

Back