Woohoo, first DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by phishphood, Nov 9, 2008.

1. phishphood

phishphood Guest

So I've been shooting off and on for the past 6-8 years on a Nikon FM2. The GF finally got tired of me whining about buying film, developing it, etc and got me a Canon XS for my birthday a few days ago. Gotta love her. Anywhosit, it was the kit with a 18-35 lense (I think).

I've never been so into photo that I bothered to really learn much about focal length, etc. I know the basics of Fstops, ISO and shutter speed and thats about it. So yeah, I'm just stoked about finally having a DSLR so I can bracket w/out being on a budget. Any tips on using it etc? I'm reading the manual and I'm a fast learner, so I'll figure out most of it. But any special tips/tricks you can do w/ a DSLR vs a standard SLR would be appreciated.

Also, anyone know where to get an adapter so I can use the lenses from my Nikon? Ex: I have a Nikkor 105mm macro that I would love to use digitally. Screw auto focus etc, I have a tripod so I just need to be able to mount it. Anyways, HOORAY!!

2. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

That would be kewl if that was the case.. I've never seen anything that would convert a nikon lens to a canon or vice a versa.. I'd buy one for sure if they did though :) There are a couple of Canon lenses I'd love to have :)

3. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

They do make an adaptor for it. A quick look at B&H Photo gave me this find.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197094-REG/Novoflex_EOS_NIK_Lens_Adapter_Nikon_to.html
    Not very inexpensive. But depending on how much the lens cots it might be worth it.

4. Elite

Elite Guest

$270 for that thing??

Congrats on the new camera Mitch..

5. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Hmmm kinda interesting.. It doesnt' allow any kind of auto metering or autofocus right? I guess for macro work it wouldn't matter...

6. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Soo, we both decided it would be for the better to return the Canon and go with a Nikon. Ended up picking up a D40 instead with an 18-55 and 55-200 for less than the XS kit with one lense. And to top it off, my 105mm mounts perfectly and shoots just fine (guess and check with exposure though :) ) Look forward to pics flooding in.

7. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

nice good luck

8. Elite

Elite Guest

Waiting for pics :) ..