Cali Kid Corals

Woohoo!! Got to open one Christmas gift early before I leave....

So the GF tells me the other day that there is one gift I have to open before I travel back home for the holidays. I had a feeling it was aquaria related and it is! She picked me up a Reefkeeper 2 with all the bells and whistles! Can't wait to hook it up tonight!!!

Thanks all! She's the best!

I hope to get it all hooked up tonight, we'll see how that goes. I have the laptop that runs the webcams all setup already right next to the tank so hopefully connecting that up to the controller is pretty easy.

I'm heading back to my hometown for the holidays (Boston), we'll see how that goes. 6-18" of snow today and tonight and a "wintery mix" on Sunday when I arrive. Flights already delayed and I'm two days out. Should be fun... :(

Hell with the Elite you don't need the RK2 just run all your tanks off one unit :D

Seriously though, I did my own testing yesterday and found out the issues I was/am having is that my fish room is bloody electrical nightmare as far as noise in the room AND it has nothing to do with any equipment that any tanks run either. Damn thing works perfectly well in every other room of my house, yet the minute anything with an "antenna" goes into the room (temperature probe, connection cable, etc) the unit doesn't respond, they got a bit cheap with their shielding me thinks.

Nice... what do you feed her?? I might have to feed my wife the same stuff. My wife wouldn't even buy me a cheap mag float to clean the tank.. :-[

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5631.msg70650#msg70650 date=1229714485]
Hell with the Elite you don't need the RK2 just run all your tanks off one unit :D

Seriously though, I did my own testing yesterday and found out the issues I was/am having is that my fish room is bloody electrical nightmare as far as noise in the room AND it has nothing to do with any equipment that any tanks run either. Damn thing works perfectly well in every other room of my house, yet the minute anything with an "antenna" goes into the room (temperature probe, connection cable, etc) the unit doesn't respond, they got a bit cheap with their shielding me thinks.

[/quote]

I read your post over on the RKE forums, pretty impressive. I thought came across my mind whilst reading it about electrical noise, shielding, etc...

Back when I was into the car audio days we use to use standard CAT5e cable to make RCA cables. Some tests were done back then and the cheap CAT5 cables performed better at shielding noise than the $300 super insulated RCA cables.

If your the DIY kind of guy and want to try it out I'd be more than happy to help you. I have piles of Cat5e-6 here at work, crimpers, RJ11 jacks(which I'm assuming the RCe uses?) , etc.. The CAT5e cables had no noise in my audio system when run directly next to a 1/0 gauge stranded copper power wire off of my car battery.

Well the connecting cables would just be one part of the issue, but then there are the probes, don't think I could DIY a shielded temperature probe, the pH probe MIGHT be ok, but still. I talked with Scott a bit and they're building me a new head unit, apparently with some feedback response electrodohoozits filter :D

Although I gathered by the response he seemed a bit miffed that I even posted, I saw a response he had before it was edited and there was one statement that struck me, maybe it's damage control *shrug*

Hehehe, the problem with lining it with tinfoil (because yeah trust me I thought about doing a faraday cage for the sucker, is the fact there's a cable I can't line (probes that go into the tank) means any signal will have a direct line of sight into the sucker.

Back