Our mission

woorrrmmmmms

Hey guys, just thought I'd share the info since I haven't heard of too many people doing this;

WHITE WORMS haha

So it appears that several people primarily on RC have had great results feeding white worms, they are small and squirm like crazy which apparently fish go crazy for them. They are easy to culture; shoebox, potting soil, mashed potato and a cool place. Apparently that's all it takes for them to thrive & grow like mad. I came across this gem of info while researching culturing of live pods, it is reported that even mandarins like to eat these. They will not grow in your tank, eventually they die in water but live long enough for all the fish to find them & hunt them down. Best part, not a lot of work just feed once a week & replace soil once in a blue moon.

I ordered some for $10 + $5 shipping, I have lotsa shoe boxes & I read that you can feed them dry fish food which I thought was fantastic since the nutrients will all end up in my fish's bellies :D

I bought them from here and I will report on my findings once they are here;

http://www.fishgobble.com/product/white-worm

No to detract from my plans for culturing pods, in fact my order of 2k pods arrives tomorrow and I get to start work on my copepod condo tank :D

Last edited:
remember, you are what you eat... if you are feeding them terrestrial plants, etc, and not macroalgae and such, the fatty acid profile will be lacking. Most of what people say to feed them are based on thinking they are land worms... they are intertidal oligochaetes actually and can be grown in brackish soil, and fed marine plants as so they better match the nutritional profile that marine animals require.

Probably, but I am not all that sure of the make-up of Cheato. With a fishing license you can get some local stuff from the coast. Just study the regs and make sure you can collect at the spot you want to go to

This is interesting, let us know how you get on with the worms. I tried culturing the red trigger pods but they all died after about 2 months

yeah the pods should be an interesting experience, I'm going to experiment with different types and different methods... I haven't found time to get started, all the equipment has been set aside and I need to send off emails to reefnutrition for some technical advice and so I can order a few of their products but I guess all in due time.

Hey Dale, should be interesting and I will certainly report on my findings. Since I got the new Mandarin & Wrasse in my tank I've been looking everywhere for local live food of any kind until I get cultures going, the worms will just be "extra"

Gresh, I tried to PM you but that wasn't an option. I had a friend buy an extra couple bottles of benthic copepods on an order he was already placing and I'm wondering if I can set a small amount (or a whole bottle) aside in a small tank then feed them, does reefnutrition sell a product that I can pick up at local LFS to feed these copepods? phyto-feast or something? I noticed there are plenty of different options, just temporarily till I get some time to get a few cultures going. Not looking to start a culture with these but try to keep them alive long enough so I can add them to the tank little by little instead of dumping thousands of pods into my DT in one day.

remember, you are what you eat... if you are feeding them terrestrial plants, etc, and not macroalgae and such, the fatty acid profile will be lacking.
so does the opposite apply as well? If you say lived near the sea and your diet HEAVILY consisted of seafood (think island nation where not much is imported/grown) do they have health issues that people who eat primarily land based animals have?

Look at islands like Okinawa. They are healthy as heck, and eat a major seafood diet. Then look at Tonga, Samoa, Hawaii, etc... not so healthy, and still eat more seafood then most Americans, but they also partake in the carb arena big time. That wipes out any good the seafood would do.

And that whole heart healthy fish mantra isn't entirely true from my reading.

Hey Dale, should be interesting and I will certainly report on my findings. Since I got the new Mandarin & Wrasse in my tank I've been looking everywhere for local live food of any kind until I get cultures going, the worms will just be "extra"

Gresh, I tried to PM you but that wasn't an option. I had a friend buy an extra couple bottles of benthic copepods on an order he was already placing and I'm wondering if I can set a small amount (or a whole bottle) aside in a small tank then feed them, does reefnutrition sell a product that I can pick up at local LFS to feed these copepods? phyto-feast or something? I noticed there are plenty of different options, just temporarily till I get some time to get a few cultures going. Not looking to start a culture with these but try to keep them alive long enough so I can add them to the tank little by little instead of dumping thousands of pods into my DT in one day.

what species of benthic copepods? Some prefer live mono species, others are fine on Phyto-Feast.

I just picked them up, going to dump one bag in my upflow fuge, the second bag I'm dumping in a heated 5 gal tank with a HOB filter w/ no floss or media, a little bit of chaeto and rock rubble then see what happens...

Back