Kessil

Work bench/table finish...

Hello

I'm finally building an almost decent work surface; I picked a nice solid core door, new, it was destined for the dump so I asked for it. put some 2 and 6x's together and there's a work table. I need a finish that can "last" or take on whatever goes on top of it. I have clear polyurethane and clear varnish; Any suggestions?
Instead of locking casters I'm just using furniture dollies; casters are a wee expensive.
Still have to add a bottom shelf.

CAM01451.jpg

I usually don't put any finish on my work surfaces. There's not a finish around that handles regular abuse of sand paper and hammers and such being used on it. If I had to pick one I'd go with the polyurethane. Water based if you've got it. It dries much faster than the oil based so you can put several coats on in the same time you'd only get one coat of oil based.

I like using a sheet of melanine for the top surface of my benches. It's pretty cheap and is very strong. My workbench doubles as an out feed table for my table saw and a router table. The melamine has low friction so it works well for me so that sheets of plywood and lumber glide across easily.

You can get a 1/4" sheet and countersink some screws down and if it wears out just pop it off and put another sheet on. The solid core door will work great for keeping the work bench nice and flat.

Me: I would screw a piece of plywood to it. No finish.
Sand it when a bit damaged. Replace when badly damaged.
Adds extra mass, and perhaps you could use the rest of the plywood for the shelves.

Thanks for the advise; I'll check the cans of finishes I have, after all is just a work surface; much better than a folding Costco table.
I will add a bottom shelf, maybe with sliding rails.

Back