Cali Kid Corals

Would you put a picasso triggerfish in your reef tank

Roc

I super want one of these, and keep finding info that they could become aggressive (since it would be the smallest fish out of the big boys not to worried about that) but nothing about how they eat corals, I'm not looking for google answers here, but things based on real life info.

I've ad triggers in mixed reefs before, clowns, bursas, humus etc. In smaller tanks they seem to be more destructive than in large tanks, for example I currently have a clown in a 320g mixed reef, he's a model citizen. Prior to that he was in a 125 and blew sand all over the place, knocked rocks over and harassed tankmates. Not to say that he's not going to do that as he grows, I've just observed that when they get bored they get destructive. Also, I've not seen them eat corals.

Ugh I had a client try one against my wishes in a 180 and it destroyed the tank... ate what few corals were in it, scratched the acrylic and bit me every time I had to clean the tank. it was only a juvi at that point.

Funny you should post this. I took out my clown trigger for a number of reasons. He was aggressive, took bites out my clowns, goby, clam, luckily nothing permanently damaged. Pretty much anything besides my corals. Also he produced a lot more waste than I was expecting. I knew he was gonna be a pig and eat a lot of "dirty food" but the skimmer and small volume of water couldn't keep up. I was expecting with a deltec MCE 600 that the skimmer would be enough. I traded him back for a frag of frogspawn, much better now. He was surprisingly easy to catch, I tossed in a little food to bring him to the surface and scooped him up with a net on the first try.

If its a FO tank the trigger would be fine, just plan for a lot of waste and aggression. If its a reef make sure you can keep up with the waste and watch out for damage.

Picasso Triggerfish can be aggressive but many are very smart. Some times they are safe, sometimes they are not. I might get it as your last fish so all your other fish already have territory. Also you might want to get a baby because if they have not already eaten corals they might not have acquired the taste for corals.

thnaks for all the info guys, for the record I would get it small and it would the last fish added to my 2+ year old reef. These are my favorite fish, and I have wanted one for a long time, but I never could find out WHY ppl said they wern't reef safe

Roc, they are destructive plain and simple. One nice thing is IME triggers are pretty easy to trap as they like to wedge themselves into tight spots when frightened, one not so niec thing is not as many people want big triggers, so it may be a little tricky to unload once it (and it will) outgrows your tank.

Good luck! :)

I think putting a trigger in your tank would be like stuffing 12 BTA's in a small tank, and cutting them all right away, and then wondering why they aren't doing well. :D

r0ck0 said:
Roc said:
WOW, well rich's answer changes my mind quite a bit as that seems really really irrasponabilbe

Yes and from experience I agree 100%

Well I would hardley compare sticking a clown trigger in a 17 gallon tank to putting a picassco in a 120 gallon tank, but sure......

Roc said:
r0ck0 said:
Roc said:
WOW, well rich's answer changes my mind quite a bit as that seems really really irrasponabilbe

Yes and from experience I agree 100%

Well I would hardley compare sticking a clown trigger in a 17 gallon tank to putting a picassco in a 120 gallon tank, but sure......

Too funny :D

We're not the tang police as you know Imus, just guiding with a gentle hand :)

OK now you guys are just being stupid. I'm sure my rockwork would be fine, but honestly I don't want to risk anything this iffy right now when my tank is looking so pimperish

tuberider said:
What did you expect? We offer advice in a manner that derails threads :D

I hope you at least got a chuckle out of it :)

Sure you guys are mildly funny...:)

What is interesting is the 1st couple of replys seem to indicate that it has been done (not without some issues) and the list of concrens did not have to do with corals, then a rash of the world will end posts by some very knowledgeable folks, then some clairifation by the earlier posters, some jokes and some kinda countless co-signs......

Yes I enjoyied the semi derailment, and do not think getting one is worth the risk to my tank

GreshamH said:
Ugh I had a client try one against my wishes in a 180 and it destroyed the tank... ate what few corals were in it, scratched the acrylic and bit me every time I had to clean the tank. it was only a juvi at that point.

That is #2 in this thread and I did mention it was an issue with corals :)

GreshamH said:
GreshamH said:

That is #2 in this thread and I did mention it was an issue with corals :)

I had you on ignore....LOL

Back