Wouldn't it be good if BAR had a rock sculpture making day?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Coral reefer, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

After the jester six presentation on aquascaping I thought it might be fun to get a bunch of rocks and a big emaco / acryl 60 kit and make a club event out of it. If enough people are interested we could do a group buy through Marco rock and have some fun putting some pieces together.
    On the other hand, if it's just a couple of us (or just me) then we can meetup someplace and work together without having a full blown event. Feel free to respond in this thread if you would be interested in joining me?

2. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I would be very very interested, I already have all my supplies, materials and rocks. A group activity is just the motivation I need to make some progress on my new build and I certainly am in need of building a new scape from scratch :)

3. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

I would be up for this Mike

4. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

Sounds fun!

5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Count me in.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Does sound like fun, although I'm a bit too early for rock structures as I need to nuke all of my rock (or just buy new stuff which I'm not terribly keen on doing)

7. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Yes -- and please hurry. I have 120 pounds of new rock coming tomorrow. :)

8. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

Just as an aside, I've coached a couple of these type events. It can be a lot of fun! If you have questions, let me know. On one group we pooled resources and bought a bunch of rock for the group so everyone could get rock at a discount.

A group splitting Emaco would make buying 50 pounds locally worthwhile.

Coral reefer likes this.
  9. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Recommend doing this somewhere in eastbay or southbay since most reefers from there. And chabot room rentals have been costing 280$ or more.

10. sfsuphysics

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Worth it if we have enough people. Could maybe piggyback onto another meeting

12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

If there's not that many people we may be able to just do it at someone's home. I know we've had parties with at least 40 people at our house. I can check with my wife to see how she'd feel about having a bunch of reef nerds here.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Playing with rock and cement. Sounds like a good time. I could host the after we move this summer. I'll be in Fremont next to Dumbarton bridge.

Coral reefer likes this.
  14. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

I still have ~35# of Emaco and a years old unopened acryl gallon. Id need to check if it's still powder but I can bring it.

Coral reefer likes this.
  15. anathema

Also literally a full 50g barrel of "live" rock that's pest free and well "cooked."

I realize that's out of fashion but it's available.

Coral reefer likes this.
  16. coral4me

I built my first Emaco rock scapes this weekend. Here are a couple pics. Some of the foam supports are still in the pics. But the scapes were so strong after a few hours that I was able to move them around by only holding the top rock in the scapes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer and tankguy like this.
  17. coral4me

Thanks @anathema , 35 lbs. of Emaco would probably be enough for the club event depending on how many people attend. I used approximately 2 lbs of Emaco to build three scapes. Each scape included an Emaco base for stability and 2 to 3 joints between the 3 to 4 rocks in each structure. The two pics I shared are both made from four separate rocks.

For the club's rock sculpture event, I would be happy to provide 1/2 gallon polyethylene mixing buckets.

Coral reefer likes this.
  18. sfsuphysics

Are your rocks in anyway supported from within with rods? or is it all Emaco which is holding it all together?

19. coral4me

Once the foam supports are removed, it is only Emaco holding the structure together (no internal rods or anything like that).

20. anathema

My emaco joined rocks are still solidly stuck together after 5+ years.