High Tide Aquatics

Wrasse has pop eye.

Today my cryptic six-line wrasse has pop eye :( anything I can do for it? When I read about it they said it can take a couple days to a couple weeks to heal. I have no idea what caused it. Tank mates are a pair of occelaris clowns and a tailspot blenny.

The wrasse still comes out at times, maybe not quite as much as it was yesterday, he looks fat and healthy like normal.

LOL.

Hey Erick,

I read, somewhere, (possible WWM) that excessive air bubbles (i.e.: such as from turning your pumps on after target feeding, or from doing a w/c with pumps on and air mixed with water flows back into main tank) can cause a build up of gasses in the fish's eye and that can cause this abnormality.

I was going to try to ask this question of the speaker at the October meeting, cause the speaker has a speciality in pathology too. I read that this condition can clear up with time (several months), lessening stress on fish, feeding vitamin enriched foods like seaweeds (spinach was not that far off) can help.

This topic is close to my heart, as my 11 year old yellow tang got this condition last year while I was on vacation. I use to have another pet sitter that told me she had to get "creative" when feeding my tank, as the tang was snatching food away from corals and inverts. I think what that translated into was she may have whacked him with my spear that I feed my anems with. Needless to say, she was terminated as my sitter.

In any case, Pop Eye in my fresh water tank usually resulted in death to one or two of my fresh water tetra fish years ago (I think the cause for Pop Eye in FW fish can be a result of gram negative bacteria). In the reef tank, my tang is making a very slow recovery. You may want to look at some of these things I mentioned, or speak with BARS's October speaker.

Hope this is relevant, helps and your fish recovers soon.

Best,
Joel
R.K.

Yea, I was reading about causes and cures, I have some bubbles in my tank (I dont think it's excessive just a couple here and there), but not a lot, I did add a new power head last week, but this just happened between last night and sometime today. It could have been a number of causes anywhere from a scratch, bubbles, or like you said a bacteria.

I will have to get some vitamin enriched foods more than just the flake food I've been feeding.

Hey Erick,

There is a product I used that comes in a plastic bottle (maybe 16oz). One formula is for reef vitamins and the other for fish vitamins. It was apx $18per bottle and lasted a long time. It has a blue and yellow label over a translucent bottle, and a picture of a Raccoon Butterfly or Moorish Angel. That stuff was really good. I use to buy it from Ken at Aquarium Concepts when they were in Hayward; now they are in Dublin (I think). It may be worth a call over to a LFS. There are vitamin enriched foods like Pixelpixi was goofing about, but things like lettuce, maybe spinach, and definitely (Unseasoned) dried seaweed from from a local Asian food store should help if you can't locate the reef vitamins. I just wish my memory served me better, as the reef vitamins were giving me good results. (DID A GOOGLE SEARCH & FOUND IT) They have it at Drs. Foster and Smith, but you may be able to find it at you LFS. Make sure we talk to the October speaker too. If I can find the article on Pop Eye, I'll forward to you. I've been too busy to search for it. But a Google Search may help you locate it faster.

Happy Reefing,
Joel R.K.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/images-1_0.jpeg /attachments/sites/default/files/images_0.jpeg

excessive bubbles is not the cause sorry to say. It takes a big pump with a pinhole to create a situation of over saturation that would lead to pop eye. It's a bacterial infection usually caused by collection damage, poor water quality or stress.

I am what I am and that's all that I am. (gi gi gi gi gi gi gi gi gi gi gi)

Glad Mr. Wrasse had a good recovery. Glad he didn't get an acting role based on the "new look" :)
Six lines have always been welcome part of my tanks, well except for that one little brute that was going after my fire fish...... who now are thriving after 6 months in the tank and no successfully high jump attempts.

Back