Reef nutrition

Wrasse Lovers Unite! What ya got?

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
Whether it's one of a hundred you can still be counted here if you love wrasses!

My current list of wrasses in the tanks (SM = Supermale) :

Chaoti
SM Pintail
SM Carpenter
SM Labouti
SM Rhomboid
Red Cigar
Yellow Coris
SM Tri-color
SM Hawaiian Christmas
SM Moyeri
Red Sea Cleaner
SM Radiant
Possum
SM Melanarus
Whipfin Fairly
Chiseltooth

And an Agae Blenny that swims and eats with the wrasses.

M Naoko
M Lineatus
M Pink Margin
F Pink Margin
M Rose Band
F Pylei
M Blue Side?
J/M Sailfin
M Whipfin
M Filamented Flasher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having been a LFS owner, I’ve seen most of them...
But 2 of my favorites were an adult red Coris 16”....just a beautiful animal
And another red Coris adult that would swim about and then start chasing its tail...just like a dog!

Just my $0.02
I’ve found that the fairy and flasher wrasses are more interesting and behave more naturally when there is a group of the same species rather than a collection of random individuals
Again, just my opinion

It’s your tank
You have to look at it and care for it!

I'd love a red coris again, but they are just terrors in the tank. No doubt one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby though. When the lights hit them just right they just don't look real. As to the flashers, you're right I'm sure. In a tank of multiple species there's always one who flashes occasionally ( they do build a loose, but fairly benign hierarchy) , but the others don't (at least in my tank.) On the other hand, you do get an assortment of incredible colors!

Here goes
225 Reef
Orange back
Lubbock
Pencil
Lineatus
Mystery
Christmas
Rose Scale
Divided or Blue Star
Ornate
200 Reef
Diamond Tail flasher
Rhomboid
Grey Head
McCosker
Roseband
Radiant
Crescent
Earmuff
180 FO
Dragon
Formosa
Adorned
Timor
Twisting
Marble
Red Breasted
Cigar
List was edited , missed a few and the Earmuff showed up today

Last edited:
Look at everyone showin’ off their wrasses in da club

I feel like this thread should have a Flo-Rida song queued up on repeat

My wrasse list-

Aussie Harleyquin tusk wrasse
Black leopard
Pink face
Melanarus
Mccoskers black fin flasher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5a3fc7bc64cf970ee92e4182187495b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my first wrasse, I am way behind most of you... It was sold to me as a Flasher Wrasse but I am unsure if that is actually what it is. I'll post a picture later for ID

Also a question: Do you guys have any compatibility issues with having all these wrasses together or is there not a worry?

So.... this isn't a simple yes or no question, but it boils down to this -- if you have a large enough tank, AND (most important) if you choose the right species (fairy's, flashers, etc), AND you take the right steps to introduce them, AND you keep them well fed, AND there's plenty of rockwork, THEN it's not much of a worry, BUT individual results may vary.

I'd love a red coris again, but they are just terrors in the tank. No doubt one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby though. When the lights hit them just right they just don't look real. As to the flashers, you're right I'm sure. In a tank of multiple species there's always one who flashes occasionally ( they do build a loose, but fairly benign hierarchy) , but the others don't (at least in my tank.) On the other hand, you do get an assortment of incredible colors!

What do you mean by them being terrors in the tank? What's the issue with them? Looked them up and they're amazing and now I want one, but wondering what the issue is

I tend to bend and sometimes break the rules. Bigger tanks certainly helps but if one fish is he’ll bent on not liking the other it won’t matter.

Back