Neptune Aquatics

Wrasse Lovers Unite! What ya got?

I tend to bend and sometimes break the rules. Bigger tanks certainly helps but if one fish is he’ll bent on not liking the other it won’t matter.

So.... this isn't a simple yes or no question, but it boils down to this -- if you have a large enough tank, AND (most important) if you choose the right species (fairy's, flashers, etc), AND you take the right steps to introduce them, AND you keep them well fed, AND there's plenty of rockwork, THEN it's not much of a worry, BUT individual results may vary.
Oh -- and always start with a plan....

Lots of ifs. Seems about right haha. Thanks for the amazing chart though!

What do you mean by them being terrors in the tank? What's the issue with them? Looked them up and they're amazing and now I want one, but wondering what the issue is

They will uproot and dislodge corals continually. They are awesome if a fish only tank though.

Also a question: Do you guys have any compatibility issues with having all these wrasses together or is there not a worry?

Yes I have issues! My pink face chases around the Mel wrasse always. I tried catching him to remove the pink face. No luck.

But adding a mirror really helps! The fish go and flash at the mirror all the time. Also provides some beautiful views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have issues! My pink face chases around the Mel wrasse always. I tried catching him to remove the pink face. No luck.

But adding a mirror really helps! The fish go and flash at the mirror all the time. Also provides some beautiful views.

No offense, but of course your Pink-face chases other fish. It's a very aggressive species, from a fairly aggressive genus. As noted, and like anything else i this hobby, good research leads to less problems and better husbandry.

Male nahackyi when I first got it
d6d1944c3a584ea128e2e01529c0c78e.jpg

Rhomboid
143bdeb4b55e3c8687ee4d42a68a70e2.jpg

No offense, but of course your Pink-face chases other fish. It's a very aggressive species, from a fairly aggressive genus. As noted, and like anything else i this hobby, good research leads to less problems and better husbandry.

Very correct. The thalassoma wrasses are very aggressive. Research is key to figuring out what fish will be happy together and which fish would need extra precaution to keep the aggression down.

The one I fear, is when the Harley gets bigger and aggressive. His teeth even scare me.

Here goes
225 Reef
Orange back
Lubbock
Pencil
Lineatus
Mystery
Christmas
Rose Scale
200 Reef
Diamond Tail flasher
Rhomboid
Grey Head
McCosker
Roseband
Radiant
Crescent
180 FO
Dragon
Adorned
Timor
Twisting
Marble
Red Breasted
Cigar
I think Bob gets the Wrasse hoarder prize

Over the past 12+ mos, I have lost (either jumped out or just disappeared)
  • SM Flame
  • SM Hooded
  • Carpenters
  • Mcoskers
  • Pintail
  • SM Laboutei
  • Blue Sided

Current list is
  • Linneatus
  • Solarensis
  • Female Leopard
  • Female Bipartitus Leopard
  • Timor
  • SM Pintail

Sorry to blaspheme this thread, but I’ve never been a fan of wrasses. I’ve seen a few in person and not been impressed. When I research them online I don’t think they look that great. I don’t know if the colors don’t come through in the pictures or what.

What should I be on the lookout for that would be an impressive wrasse? Colorful, full of personality, but isn’t aggressive.

Sorry to blaspheme this thread, but I’ve never been a fan of wrasses. I’ve seen a few in person and not been impressed. When I research them online I don’t think they look that great. I don’t know if the colors don’t come through in the pictures or what.

What should I be on the lookout for that would be an impressive wrasse? Colorful, full of personality, but isn’t aggressive.

My fav part about wrasse, active fast swimming in the water column and in rocks. Other fish I have seen so dull to watch.

For you, I'd recommend a Humphead Wrasse.

Anampses femininus, Anampses lennardi, Paracheilinus nursalim, Macropharyngodon choati, and Cirrhilabrus lineatus are my top picks for color.
Aggression will depend on tank mates, tank size, feeding, etc...
Photos never do justice. My male nahackyi pictured above is far more colorful in person.

Back