Neptune Aquatics

Wrasse

I'm thinking about getting some sort of wrasse. Any recommendations on specific types? I want something attractive and showy and compatible with my clowns, dwarf angel, and PJ cardinals.

If you know of specific ones that are in stock at a particular LFS, that info would be appreciated too!

I would also be open to showy fish in other families, but given my tank size and the tank mates, it seems like a wrasse is probably the way to go?

im partial to the exquisite, pyle's fairy, and scotts fairy...i like six lines too but from what everyone says they're the spawn of the devil

Flasher's and Fairys are mild mannered, considered reef safe, are small, and beautiful!

Here is an article on Flashers that I found informative.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/ht/index.php

and one on Fairy Wrasses:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/hcs3/index.php

Mike my solar was very mean aggressive to my other wrasses. How about a radiant wrasse? Out of all the wrasses I've ever had my radiant has been the most passive.

My best suggestion is to make sure you have good containment on the top of your tank. I love wrasses but both of mine jumped so I've accepted that I can't have them anymore. (The second one jumped through a 1/4" netting even though I thought he was too big to get through it. Unfortunately the net did prevent him from getting back into the water and I found him sitting on top of the it cooking under the lights.)

That said, I had an exquisite and a solar. Both had great temperments and loved to pal around with my coral beauty.

Keep in mind flashers and fairies need to be fed a few times a day, especially flashers. I'm fond of most all of them, with a affinity towards lubbock's wrasses.

Thanks everyone!

Flashing and coloration - Do they flash in captivity? I'd imagine I'd need a pair and maybe a harem for that, right?

Coloration - How much coloration do they really loose in captivity? Especially with just one.

Containment - Not a problem. My hood is totally enclosed.

Feeding - Also should be fine. I feed with an autofeeder. Currently twice daily but I can up it to 3 or 4 times daily if necessary.

There are a number that seem like they might be good. Maybe I'll just start keeping an eye out buy one when I find one that's right.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

I stopped by Atlantis after the swap. They had a dragon wrasse and a paddlefin. Wow! Both really beautiful fish.

and totally not compatible with my tank. :(

What about the yellow sea of cortez wrasse. I have two in my tank and they never bother anyone, very passive fish. Well mine are very passive but cant speak for the rest and im not sure of general temperment that people say they have. They do live in the sand though so bare bottom wouldnt work if you have one.

That might be a possibility, though I think I'm leaning towards something with stronger patterns. I'm finding it really hard to tell what I like from online photos. I think I'm just going to have to keep everyone's suggestions in mind and then see what's available at our fine area fish stores.

I aggree that the Yellow Coris Wrasse is a very peaceful fish. Mine has been a model citizen and has not bothered any fish at all. Not sure though how he would react towards other wrasses.

Just because I'm such a masochist I was looking at fish I love but can't have (triggers. tangs. dragonets. etc) and I came to the butterfly fish, which I have always regarded as not reef safe, herbivorous, coral nipping, relatively large and thus unsuitable for my tank.

Then I saw the Heniochus. I read a little about it and it looks like it could actually work. From what I read, it's a peaceful zooplanktivore that's suitable for tanks 50 gallons and larger. It would certainly be the big centerpiece fish I'm looking for.

I really love the copperband too, but it sounds like its more challenging and would likely nip at my corals.

Hmm.

I'm going to risk the copperband. I've heard mixed reviews on it. I figure I can introduce some corals to the QT and see what happens. If it's a no go, then back to the store for 50% credit.

There are two kinds of banner fish. One is the stouter (shorter version) kind that is "more" reef safe than the other. I can't tell the difference unless they are side by side.

Back