WTB a Clam

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by mckevinfang, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

anybody selling clams? or know or a cheap place to get one i live near Daly City Bart Station
    the nice looking ones not the cleaner or electric.
    it will be my first time keeping a clam so any suggestions or tips?
    the clam will be going into my GF's 12 Aquapod 70watt MH + 24watt 50/50 PC's.

dont have too much money so the cheaper the better. ;D

thanks guys :)

2. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

All About Fish sells those nice blue ones 1 1/2 - 2" for about $15 each I think... Might want to call ahead...

3. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

THANKZ :)
    theyre already closed. ill try and call tomorrow buy it pretty far from me any other suggestions?

4. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Pet Solutions (the website) $19.99 I think... (Different sizes) overnight shipping is $50 though...

5. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

is that worth it $70 dollars?
    im looking for something way cheaper like the $15 from all about fish

6. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Hey Kevin! :)

You might want to wait on a clam for your GF new tank. They need really stable conditions. I'd hate for you to spend the money then have it die because the tank wasn't stable enough, not to mention the pollution it will cause if it does die, and how it will effect the other corals in that small tank.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but 8 mon. - 1 year comes to mind for stable tank conditions before placing a clam in the system.

Other more experienced clam people, please give Kevin more accurate advice. :)

7. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

thanks sherri
    The LR and the LS came from my 20 Gallon Tank that has been up for more than a year
    i have about 8 corals in the tank right now
    6 onyx nass
    2 astrea turbo
    3 blue legged hermits

but its true i know very little of clams so any help and suggestions would be highly appreciated

THANKS

8. Lyn

Lyn Guest

What kind of corals do you have in the tank? I think I read, or someone told me, that if you can keep and grow SPS' then it should be ok for a clam. I think this is a good gauge to decide if your tank will support one. :D

9. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

theres
    - The Pink Mushroom (you gave her)
    - The baby blue button polyps (you gave her)
    - The GSP and BSP (badbread gave her)
    - Pink Monti (badbread gave her)
    - Mixed Zoa rock (badbread gave her)
    - Green Mushroom rock (badbread gave her)
    - Orange Digi (badbread gave her)

10. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

im going to pick up some SPS frags for her this weekend ;D

11. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Is the Montipora and Digitata showing growth? I waited until my Acropora showed growth before I put my clam in. Even then, I had problems because my nano is so small that I have to check the water parameters often. The SPS' and clam suck calcium and alkalinity tends to dip in this tank.

Good luck and have fun! I love my crocea clam, they are so beautiful! :D

12. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

yes growth is showing ;D

any cheap places you recommend or know of anybody selling some?

13. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

so i just called all about fish and they are sold out!!

but they never had them for $15 the cheapest the sell them for is $39.95 for 1in-2in

anybody know of somewhere or someone i can get some from? ???

14. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I don't know if clams are seasonal, but it seems like I see more for sale during the summer. I could be delusional about this though. :)

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Sometimes cheapest isn't always the best, the smaller clams you speak of can be more of a challenge to keep that the med sized.

16. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Aquatic Gallary has some fantastic looking clams right now from Medium size to extra-large.... not "cheap".... but they seem in great condition.

A few years back I picked up a trio of clams that I got cheap from a LFS... a large one... 9" and two very small ones 2". I lost them all over the course of 3 months and I was so pissed at myself. My tank was only about 9 months old at the time. Two years later I picked up about 5 different medium size clams and they all did fantastic.

So I second the med sized clams and a extra comment to make sure your tank is seasoned and very stable. At the time I think my problem was 3-4 degree temp swings through a 24 hour period each day and an inconsistent salinity level due to no ATO. That and I should of let me tank mature more.

17. mckevinfang

mckevinfang Guest

thanks everyone for the advice!! ;D

i guess me and my gf will just wait it out :-

im going to add some more sps frags and let those mature for a while then add in the clam :)

but can you give me advice on which type to get for my tank and what size and the typical price range for that clam :-

Just a reminder my gf's tank is:
    - 12 gallon AquaPod
    - 70watt MH 20k bulb with 2x18watt 50/50 PC's

18. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I believe the smallest clams are Croceas - 6 inches. This is what I have in my 12 gal nano. The others get quite large, 12 inches, and up to 3 feet for the giants. Yikes!

19. zambavi

zambavi Guest

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6168.msg78376#msg78376 date=1233732260]
    I believe the smallest clams are Croceas - 6 inches. This is what I have in my 12 gal nano. The others get quite large, 12 inches, and up to 3 feet for the giants. Yikes!
    [/quote]

The Owner of Fish World in Richmond Virginia has a 600g Display at the intrance to his store with a 3 foot clam that he has had for almost 20 years... since he opened his store. Super freakin cool! I stopped by there all the time while traveling the east coast just to see it..... and buy some of his awsome corals...

20. Lyn

Lyn Guest

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6168.msg78380#msg78380 date=1233732891]
    [quote author=Lyn link=topic=6168.msg78376#msg78376 date=1233732260]
    [/quote]

The Owner of Fish World in Richmond Virginia has a 600g Display at the intrance to his store with a 3 foot clam that he has had for almost 20 years... since he opened his store. Super freakin cool! I stopped by there all the time while traveling the east coast just to see it..... and buy some of his awsome corals...
    [/quote]

Yes, arn't they cool? The Waikiki Aquarium had giants too. Pretty amazing to think it was a clam. I could see the "eyes" on it pretty clearly. I would have hated to move that thing for sure! I can't imagine the weight on one of those. Good thing the aquarium's tanks were made of concrete (I think). :D