WTB a Clam

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by mckevinfang, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I had 4 clams, lost 3 of them :(

3 were the 1 inch clams. I was feeding them phytfeast. The problem was that one kept "walking around" and one day it took a header behind a rock and died The other two small ones did well, and then another one went for a walk of death. Then I had a nice Crocea that got shadowed by a few RBTAs. It was my fault, I couldn't pay enough attention to the tank with two neworns in the house...any spare time was used for sleeping (in one hour increments). But the kids are now 14 months and a few months ago, I couldn't stand the algae and aiptasia, so I committed myself to keeping the tank clean and healthy. (Slowly fighting algae and mostly winning, and will soon battle the aiptasia!)

The last remaining clam is doing fantastic, it's about 3 inches now. I really wish I had asked another reefer to baby sit the clams while I was overwhelmed by my own little ones.

I really love seeing how much the clam has grown, you can see the growth by the colour of the "scutes" (??). I think the addition of a CA Reactor is going to boost it's healthiness too.

Bottom line is ... clams are awesome, but you have to take care of it...if it goes for a walk, you gotta move it to a safe place!

V

2. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6168.msg78391#msg78391 date=1233734372]
    [quote author=zambavi link=topic=6168.msg78380#msg78380 date=1233732891]
    [quote author=Lyn link=topic=6168.msg78376#msg78376 date=1233732260]
    I believe the smallest clams are Croceas - 6 inches. This is what I have in my 12 gal nano. The others get quite large, 12 inches, and up to 3 feet for the giants. Yikes!
    [/quote]

The Owner of Fish World in Richmond Virginia has a 600g Display at the intrance to his store with a 3 foot clam that he has had for almost 20 years... since he opened his store. Super freakin cool! I stopped by there all the time while traveling the east coast just to see it..... and buy some of his awsome corals...
    [/quote]

Yes, arn't they cool? The Waikiki Aquarium had giants too. Pretty amazing to think it was a clam. I could see the "eyes" on it pretty clearly. I would have hated to move that thing for sure! I can't imagine the weight on one of those. Good thing the aquarium's tanks were made of concrete (I think). :D
    [/quote]

Heh, do you remember a few years ago someone STOLE THE CLAMS from the aquarium on Maui (or was it Waikiki?) they were big and rare. The media put out a plea to please return them, they were part of a project at the aquarium too.

... The crook returned the clams by leaving them in an auditorium or theatre or something then calling in their location I think. Or something like that. With all the media attention, it would have been impossible to display the stolen clams in your home tank without someone knowing you were a theiving piece of crap, and I'm sure on such a small island, it was easy to cover all mailing facilities in case the crook tried to sell them.

V

3. Natterjak

Natterjak Guest

For that size tank, your best bet would probably be a crocea, since they're the smallest, and they also grow very slowly. I've had one for two years that doesn't look all that much bigger than it did when I first got it (conversely, a derasa I got after it started out smaller, and is now about twice as big as the crocea). They need a rock to bore their foot into. Maximas are the next biggest, and seem to grow a little faster than croceas. I would avoid any of the others, they get too big and grow fast.