Cali Kid Corals

WTB: Fauna Marin Algae X

Nav

I'm not having great luck getting rid of Dino and kept this as a last resort. Now willing to give it a try and nobody carries it?

BRS says out of stock, other sites ship from Canada or UK :(

Store suggestions? Anybody local carrying it?

I don't know from personal experience in regards to Dino, but it might be worth a try.

I know one emerald crab took care of my bryopsis and bubble algae in my tank. Maybe I was lucky on the crab I bought.

I don't think the Algae X is available anymore.

I think you'd be better off following some basics first: Increase skimming, use GFO, add a macro like chaeto (and give all these things some time to work). Other options are to try raising your ph and alk. Remove the dinos often.

Manually remove them every time you see it popping up. Do some bigger water changes, like 50%. Tere is obviously something goin on. Changing more water what once will help. Doing 35% is good, but only get to of a third of what's messed up. Do 50% every couple days for three or four times. Just give it a try. Do you need help? I know you just got an Rodi, if you need extra water hit me up

I am really doing everything possible to take care of this...
  • 35% PWC every week (RSCP salt)
    • Loop siphon (DT > Sump) with sock
    • Toothbrush to scrub almost every part of the rock & siphon as I scrub
    • Tweezers to scrape parts where a toothbrush can't reach & siphon
    • Then turkey baste and further siphon
  • ChemiPure Elite
  • Skimming Wet
  • 5hr light cycle
  • ATS with 18hrs light on it
  • One mangrove doing well in the sump
  • Feeding 5-10 pellets twice a day (no mysis, no additives other than cal & alk)
  • Going to put back Purigen soon
My sand is pristine, its only few patches on the rock where I see Dino & GHA. Its really not something out of control like a few tanks where its all covered brown or green. Its all very early stage stuff that I just want to get rid of before they go worse...

Mike, when you say couple of days is it like every 3 days?

I could try 50% but need to borrow large Brute cans (my apt is too small and doesn't make sense to buy them).

Hey Nav,

Just be patient.
It takes time.
I've had algae problems for a good 2 or 3 years until my tank stabilized. You are just pissing away money in products that will not do much but give you temporary results.

IMO, chemipure elite is a poor choice for any reef tank over 10 gallons since there are only miniscule amounts of GFO in it. The one thing missing from your approach is phosphate removal, which is likely feeding the dinos.

And its expensive! Buy some gfo and some carbon from brs. Way cheaper. Hen I say 50% every few days I mean like 3 times in a week. Really should fix most things besides rocks leaching out nutrients. I agree w mark I you can try removing the problem rocks and see what happens?

I agree time will heal the nuisance algae stuff but I doubt its same case with dino ;) I've been reading a lot recently and there's very low success rate in getting rid of this crap!

Today I shot a few pics from top... Green is GHA. Red is Dino.

My Dino is slimy and grows in small rock pockets like in the pic. Now you'll see its not crazy covered up in my tank, just such bits over the top layer of rocks :(

This is 2 days after I scrubbed & siphoned all of it, so by end of week expect to see bit over double the brown stuff...

tumblr_inline_ngpsobQvAR1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_ngpsoi2dvW1sc62k6.jpg

Bit more closer shot…

tumblr_inline_ngpsp62jC01sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_ngpspzeCaF1sc62k6.jpg

Last edited:
Back