WTB White Velvets

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by hermesfansf, Jun 14, 2013.

1. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

DBTC is done on an honor system

In the past ,I have passed out a few DBTC's here and there ;) ......appx 95 percent of the time , fellow reefers honor the system :)
    My way of deciding whom would be a good candidate to receive a DBTC always required a good track record with whichever type of coral I was handing over, a decent track record with the club (active tank build updates , DBTC chains started , helping with club volunteer jobs, etc...etc)

People break the system for various reasons.....breaking down a tank/getting out and not being able to take the time to give corals back, lose track of what and where the coral came from ( I'm guilty of that one ) and YES some just do it to make a quick buck out of someone else's generosity to our club.

I have had my share of meltdowns....My tank that is :(( Since I have been with BAR I would guess 2-3 at least and you know what happens in our club when that happens..............................BOOM.....members of our great reefing community are very good about donating corals back to get one going again :D some were from DBTC's that I started and a lot from just others that want to help out a fellow reefer when he/she is going through a bad spell with their tank.

Over all I believe in the DBTC system .......you just got to keep moving forward and weed out the bad experience as just that .......experience to learn whom not to pass DBTC on to the next time :O

2. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Well said Serg.

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Agreed. And most chains ask for only like 2 pieces back in before selling or trading. I know Charles asked for strictly no selling, so its different. I've had good luck with people following through w dbtc, mostly, but it is a guessing game. I like to see people following through and being good club participants before I give the corals, but you never know! Gotta give away corals to keep the program alive tho!

4. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

White Velvets are a little different.
    Not going to cast judgement on anyone because I don't know their side of the story but I would bet that 99% of WVs if not ALL WVs in the greater SF Bay Area originated from Charles. Cjvale got them from Kes. Kes got them from Charles... Charles and Cjvale are both very active sellers. If you can find another colony originating from somewhere else...Let's hear it... :D

5. hermesfansf

hermesfansf Guest

If cjvale got them from Kes and he paid, then it was his decision to sell, trade or give away the white velvets. Do u not agree? I am not taking side, just wanna point things out.

6. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Eh less move on.... I just hope those that have gotten from me on all my dbtc continue to follow my weird rules. Lesson learned I will now new more careful on who I give my corals too n just hope they are stand up folks. I don't remrmber last time ive sold btw, I've stopped selling long ago.

7. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Doesn't matter and I don't care - My point was that the vast majority, if not all WVs in the Greater SF Bay Area originated from Charles.

8. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Don't worry, we'll be able to hold folks more accountable in the new forum with a member rating system. ;)

hermesfansf - Just because someone makes the decision to sell, trade, or give away something doesn't mean that it was honorable, socially acceptable, or abided by the DBTC rules, especially when Charles' rules explicitly stated otherwise. Going outside the rules stated within the DBTC is what you would call profiteering and we, BAR, do not condone that. I hope that's something you'd agree with.

9. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Thats good news on the rating system.

Less move on.
    [​IMG]