WTT or Free GBTA

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by dantodd, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dantodd

dantodd Guest

Well, about twice a year I need to trim the BTA forest in the tank at my son's school.

I have quite a few GBTAs to get rid of. 3 or 4 are on the tank side and easy to get to. I'd also like to get rid of 5 or 6 or more from the rocks for anyone with the patience to peel them off.

I need food for the tank. pref. frozen but dried is cool.

I also want to replace a yellow wrasse that died. It's a 100 gallon tank with a pair of clarkii, a yellow tang, a coral beauty and an engineer goby. All but the goby have been in my tanks for 4 years of longer. I'd like to add either another yellow wrasse or a similar wrasse with nice colors. Will consider others if you have something that you want to find a good home and is accustomed to flake food.

I also have a mess of clarkii fry every couple weeks if anyone is raising them and wants to collect a couple clutches. If you want to do this we'll need to work something out so the kids at the school can follow the fry's development.

My son attends a special school for kids with CP. Check out the school at www.theavalonacademy.org

cheers,
    Dan

2. TimTen

TimTen Guest

Hi Dan,
    Sounds like the tank is still doing well. Do you have any pics? If you are going to the swap I will bring some fish food.

3. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

Hello. I would like to get a GBTA, preferably no more than 5". I can trade for some frozen food. Do you have a preference?

Bernie

4. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Hey Dan I hadn't seen you posting for awhile.. Welcome back... Did the skimmer work out OK for you?

5. beaupierce

beaupierce Guest

I'll take a couple of GBTA. I am doing a nice softie tank...
    Please pm your info...

Cheers

6. dantodd

dantodd Guest

I'm not going to make it to the swap so you'll have to come by the school, bring towels and a bucket.

Timten -- Thanks. despite all my best efforts everything is thriving. Mama won't let any smaller frags hang around the tank but one or two of the palys from the last trading session are still around. I'll try and clean up the tank a little and post a picture or two.

Bernie -- Bring some Mysis and/or a big package of Formula Two flake. I have a couple smaller clones on the wall that will be easy to get to. Just let me know when you want to come by.

fishnfst -- I don't have the skimmer running right now. My overflow and drain are leaking a little and it looks like the skimmer was too. I am going to re-install it when I can get things straightened out and have it INSIDE the sump.

Beaupierce -- Let's see who has something to swap first.

also, if anyone has experience fixing leaky overflows or drains and would like to help it would be greatly appreciated. the overflow is leaking where I glued it and I can't breakdown the tank to do the repair. I'm thinking either silicone or epoxy putty but I'd really like someone with more experience. This is my first and last acrylic tank. The thing insta-scratched. The helpful school staff trying to use the magnetic cleaner with sand under it didn't help any.

7. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

I would love a small GBTA. Have no wrasses, besides the standard six-line. Would be happy to contribute some flake or frozen food.

8. Elite

Elite Guest

Dan,
    I have a half "big" bar of the frozen Cyclop-eeze.. LMK if you can pick up in SJ.
    Free for the school..
    -Phong

9. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

What kind of overflow is it? Is it the bulkhead that is leaking or actually a leak in the pvc pipe? marinetex will actually cure wet and will adhere to pvc pipe if you just sand the spot a bit and give it a quick wipe with denatured alcohol..

Take a quick pic of the leak if you can and post it up.. I'm pretty swamped at work but might be able to make it down if its something that looks like I can fix...

10. dantodd

dantodd Guest

Thanks Phong. I think you donated some live rock to the tank already, didn't you? Let me see if I can combine it with another trip otherwise with gas at $4.60/gal might be more than the cyclop-eeze. beautiful avatar BTW!

Doug -- I think the bulkhead leak is just an issue of being clean and tight, I might need to replace the seal but the bigger issue is that I can't get the nut tight and I don't have a big-ass basin wrench. what happens is water just seeps around the bulkhead and then runs along the bottom of the tank and then onto the cabinet and down the inside. As for the overflow, I just glued 2 pieces of black acrylic to make a corner overflow and it isn't quite watertight, seemed to hold water when I tested but maybe I didn't test long enough and the leaks must have gotten worse. Whenever there's a power outage the sump overflows.

11. Elite

Elite Guest

Yup base rock... Yeah gas price suck ::)..

12. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Not a fix for your leaky bulkhead issue but for the sump overflowing in a power outtage you might try gluing in a standpipe to the bh in your overflow.. Just adjust the height to meet the low water level you would like to achieve.. How big is the hole in your stand that the bulkhead is sitting in? Could the hole be enlarged without damaging or moving the tank? I could give it a shot if you want.. I"m sure you've tried everything under the sun to tighten it already though.. The gasket is on the inside of the tank right? I know its a remedial question but have to ask it.. I've seen so many my bh's are leaking threads where they put the gasket on the outside of the tank under the nut instead of inside the tank under the flange...

13. dantodd

dantodd Guest

I'm pretty sure that the gasket is in the right place but I can check.

As for the standpipe, the problem is that since the overflow leaks I can't really adjust the standpipe high enough. It's 2" and that means with the elbow etc, I need 2.5" from the top and the overflow is higher than that so I'm a little stuck there.

14. dantodd

dantodd Guest

Cool.

I stopped by my son's school and these guys were outside: http://www.cmiregistration.com/user/splash.jxp?org=261

They brought in a leopard shark about half a meter long and a couple small flat fish (don't know what species.)

He has such a great school.

15. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

Dan, I pm'ed you for info. LMK.

16. dantodd

dantodd Guest

For some reason I am not able to see any PMs. Anyone trying to PM me just drop me an email at this same username @ yahoo.com

Thanks.

17. Elite

Elite Guest

You can't PM because you are not BAR member. ;)

18. dantodd

dantodd Guest

that would explain it.

Thanks.

19. dantodd

dantodd Guest

Bernie,

Please let me know how your BTA is adapting to his new home.

20. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

Hi Dan. I acclimated the little guy, put him in a nice place and left him to make dinner.

Now I can't find him. I think he's doing the walk about - looking for a place he likes. I'll keep an eye out for him, but I'm sure he's around. My RBTA did the same thing.